PDA

View Full Version : Batteries for 6.2

Jakob
11-14-2006, 09:08
I bought a G20 van with a 6,2l diesel, and the batteries are quite bad. It's two 450cca batteries (actually they just state 450A), 60ah. After a long charge the engine still cranks slowly, and those batteries were not maintained as well as they should. For example, one had far less water on one of the cells than the others.

I've been recommended Optima Red Tops or AC-delcos, around 900-1000cca. Do I need two of these, or can one do its job? I'm kind of on a budget :D

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2006, 09:49
Welcome to the Forums!

I recommend Optima Red Tops. They are not "budget friendly" in the short term, but well worth it in the long haul for several reasons. Longevity, performance, maintenance, ease of use, cleanliness. Other than that, I'd suggest ACDelco's.

Jakob
11-14-2006, 10:50
So I would need two to start the engine?

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2006, 10:56
So I would need two to start the engine?
No. I have "limped" on one battery many times. Unless you live in the tropics with warm temps year round, the likelyhood you will have starting issues is real. There's a lot of current drain to start a Diesel engine, and it only increases as the temps decrease. As batteries age, their efficiency decreases. Too little juice not only strains the battery, it will also shorten the life of the starter and cause other electrical problems (these systems are sensitive enough....we don't need to add problems). A straining starter will self destruct in a short time.

NH2112
11-14-2006, 11:55
I've used a single 875CCA Wal-Mart EverStart battery for the past 4 winters, with absolutely no cold weather starting problems that wouldn't have also been present in a dual-battery truck (which my previous K10 was.) Did either of them start at subzero temps without block heater time? Rarely. But regardless of ambient temp or how long the engine had been cold-soaking, 2 hours of block heater time and a single battery got me started within 2-3 seconds of cranking max.