PDA

View Full Version : Slap/Knock at Startup

Brunoboy
11-13-2006, 19:31
An interesting situation is occurring that I hope one of you has some experience with. Immediately after startup (within one second) I can hear a single slap/knock and the whole truck rocks backwards. It isn't a violent knock and it doesn't happen all the time. The sound is muted and the truck movement is enough to feel. It is kinda like the truck is a slide hammer and the hammer weight moves at startup. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Some background: 2002 2500HD Duramax 2WD 42,000 miles. 100% stock except for secondary CAT filtration. Injectors are original and repeated oil analysis does not show anything unusual.

More clues: After the truck warms up, I now have a ticking noise at idle that is impossible to trace but does not get louder with higher RPM's. The most recent service was an oil change. One month prior both fuel filters were changed. Truck has plenty of power.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kennedy
11-14-2006, 08:33
Sounds like something in the transmission/park mechanism. These make some nasty noises.

The warm tick is common and has been discussed here numerous times before. No worries.