PDA

View Full Version : 93 hard starting

Firefarm
04-19-2004, 13:20
My 93 is having a real hard time starting. I'm on my second starter after burning up the first one. I've replaced the glow plugs and that didn't help. Once the truck is running, every thing is fine, its smooth and shows no loss of power. Have any ideas?

More Power
04-19-2004, 19:57
Hard to start cold, hard to start warm/hot, or hard to start at any time?

MP

woody
04-20-2004, 05:16
Make sure it's spinning fast enough, as in having healthy batteries/connectors. Just 50 RPM difference in starting can be a big deal, especially when IP and injectors are getting "long of tooth."

Coincidentally, I have a '93 that I put new Optimas in recently. The difference was dramatic - it just leaps to life. While previously it did seem to take a little longer to kick over, I didn't realize I had a starting problem until the battery replacement. Was thinking about RRing the IP/injectors, and glow plugs, but now, it starts just like it did when new!

Just a thought -Woody-

Firefarm
04-22-2004, 11:48
It starts hard warm, hot, cold, no correlation to ambient or engine temp. Also, it has 2 new 850 CCA Interstate batteries.

Is it possible that it could be far enough out of time that it won't start? I haven't really noticed any loss of power. Where do I start?

[ 04-22-2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Firefarm ]

ttpost
04-23-2004, 14:55
hmm i just replaced my batteries and was told 975 was the minimum cca might want to check that out