PDA

View Full Version : 2 ?'s, acceptable waterpump slack, cutting upper intake for IC.

john8662
08-16-2005, 06:10
I'm getting parts ready for the new engine, that I'm still patiently awaiting and I stumbled upon some questions.

First off, I've got the 97+ HO waterpump installed on the OLD engine and it's got 10k miles on it. My question:

What is the acceptable amount of slack/play on the water pump drive shaft?

With 10k miles on it, you can feel some horizonal play when wiggling the shaft, and turning it around. There is also a very very slight smount of laterial slack when you pull the drive shaft pulley towards you. The good, no leaks, no weeping, just a good working waterpump, just curious what was normal after the bearings in the pump break-in.

Another question on a different part of the engine concerns my boost gauge installation and the antipation of installing an intercooler later. Next question:

How much do you cut off the end of the upper intake manifold during an intercooler install?

The reason for this question is because I don't want to have to drill and tap the upper intake tube twice for the boost gauge install. I already had a boost guage, but am installing a different upper intake manifold piece, so I have to re-tap a hole for the tube. The place I chose to tap for boost pressure is on the tube portion of the upper intake. I wanted to keep this area, but need to know how far back on the tube to put my hole? Am I making any sense? Also, if tapping the intake in another spot makes more sense, I'm open to suggestion.

Thats it for now...

joed
08-16-2005, 10:18
Regarding ?#2:

I think I cut off 3-4 inches from the upper intake. It will vary a little bit depending on where your intercooler pipe falls. So placing the tap 5 inches from the end should work (if that much is available). It wasn't a factor for me as my boost tap is on the driver's side near the rear of the plenum, in the wider part. Probably not as responsive of a location, though.

Joe.

tom.mcinerney
08-16-2005, 20:28
My '95 Helm says only replace pump after it leaks....

The tubular section is not good place for boost tap as air rushing by can have a distorting 'vacuum effect'. I put my non egr tap where the egr would have been. top center of upper man.

john8662
08-17-2005, 12:27
Thanks for the replies!

I'll start looking for a better spot on the intake, since the old engine is sitting on the stand, it's a little easier to figure out where would work for a new place to tap.

I used the portion of the tube because I wanted to know what the output of the turbo was, maybe I needed to know how much pressure I was building in the intake in reality.

I want to place the tap in a place that won't be in view, like it would be on the top EGR boss.

john8662
08-19-2005, 09:23
Well, here is where I'm gonna put the boost pressure gauge, this way it's not something I have to mess with when removing the upper intake manifold. I feel that it's going to be a more permenant location. Find the red dot.

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/all/65intakeboost.jpg