PDA

View Full Version : AUTOTAP OBDII diagnostic software

98flatbed
01-08-2004, 03:28
Has anyone here ever used this autotap software? Any good? They claim I can hook up my laptop and log information for my intermittant problem while I drive. Would this software allow me to reset the tdc offset if I decide to do the phasor gears? I was going to buy a scan tool till I saw this, any suggestions? If this is a waste of money, what is a really good scan tool?

TurboDiverArt
01-09-2004, 03:39
I'd like to know this too. If you find anything out please post it back!

triggerman
01-09-2004, 06:56
I know this is slighly off topic, but TDC offset and timing might also be acheived with the following tools. I pulled this off The Repair Library a few months back. "The companies that are making reflash available to the aftermarket are, EASE, Hickok, OTC, and Vetronix. Each has it's own approach. EASE is offering GM capabilities now. It's the only one with off-board at this moment, using a dedicated reflash device that doesn't tie up your scan tool.OTC can give you GM with SPS (Service Programming System) on CD, and Vetronix is GM pass-through, although AC Delco Installers have had a remote system avilable since 97".
Hope this leed helps out.

spra01
01-09-2004, 08:59
I purchased OBDscan tool from http://www.ghgcorp.com/dharrison/obdscan.html
which also plugs into a laptop and is relitivly inexpensive,and free upgrades
I havn't used any others so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have been pleased with mine. I can't use it on my 94 6.5 because its OBD-I, But it gives me most of the info I need and lots I don't on my VW TDI.(except antilock brake info on the vw)
I don't belive it can adjust the offset.

CapnAmerica
01-09-2004, 09:40
I have AutoTap, trying it to gain cheapskate points and try to avoid purchasing a "real" scanner/analyzer. I thought it would have capabilities similar to the Tech-II--technically, it could.

However, it will not operate in two-way mode for setting pump timing. That is, in my case (see posts below on Timing the 6.5 and TDC Offset???), to set timing on a new pump installation, we need to command the desired timing to go to 0 (engine under control of the AutoTao), and set the actual at +3.5 deg by rotating the pump. AutoTap will not do this.

It will read TDC offset. The setting procedure is in my post below and several others on the BB.

It will also read and reset codes (This would seem to put the lie to "no two way communication, as AutoTap told me...) and record real-time data. I have not had to try spotting an intermittent problem, but did experiment with this capability and it seems to do what it says it will.

One other thing--there are MANY sensors and outputs from the computer which are not available for monitoring on the AutoTap YET; it also will not access the chassis information; specifically, the ABS alarm information. AutoTap folks tell me they are working on adding more capabilities, such as the timing command process mentioned above, but don't have a timetable.

In retrospect, without the timing feature, I'm not sure it's everything I need. For same or less $$$, I could have gotten most of the same features, except for big screen.

Hope this helps!