PDA

View Full Version : Block Heater?

Mikeandwendy74
11-03-2006, 18:39
Anyone know where I can get an engine block heater for my 6.2? I need to go through the engine and test glow plugs, change oil and check fuel system, when its warm it starts up, but on those cold days boy its tough:P

Robyn
11-03-2006, 18:44
The Chevy store will have them or can get them.
Also besides checking Glow sticks you need to pull the injectors and have them tested as well. If they are not spraying a fine mist and are squirting a stream they will be hard to start.
Have your local diesel pump shop test them all.

Mikeandwendy74
11-03-2006, 18:57
I think I am going to replace the glows and the injectors this weekend. I read somewhere that I should buy ac 11's? does this sound right? Im looking for the plugs that self regulate and resist swelling. I'm an electrician and I'm going to rewire the glow plug relay to a momentary switch then spray a whole bottle of ether into the intake and hold the switch for 45 seconds :) just kidding. I am curious about which glow plugs work the best for this motor. Thanks :)

dieseldummy
11-03-2006, 19:12
AC 60g's are about all that you'll find nowadays. Unless you find a place with some old stock on the shelves the 11g's are long gone. The 60g's are slow to heat up, but they hold up to some serious abuse. Some love the quick heats, but I've never had good luck with them. I'd say use 60g's with extended glow time.

Mikeandwendy74
11-03-2006, 19:29
60g's I'll give em a shot hope I can get the old ones out :)

Robyn
11-03-2006, 21:49
Good O'L MA Startly..
Definately lift the lid off the beast.
I remember years ago some fool trying to start an Olds 5.7 with a can of the O'l Ma and he lit that thing off with a bang. I had to laugh, coolant ran out and it was done for.