PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1996 6.5TD Auto

Ed2000
11-02-2006, 11:34
My 1996 6.5TTD suburban is running really rough at start-up and much black smoke. I have check the air intake, completely removed everything. Wastegate is working and the turbo is spinning. Not sure what the problem is. I ordered an OBD II Scanner of Ebay hoping to read any trouble codes, and it read zero, nothing? Can this be possible, no trouble code with such a rough running engine?

Any help would be appreciated! My truck (Family wagon) has been down now for 6 weeks, I really would like to find the problem, but where I live in the NC mountains, no one knows anything about this engine. The truck is running to rough to drive anywhere for testing.

Thank you all

Ed

rameye
11-02-2006, 15:45
sooo... does it smoothe out when it gets warm???

does the check engine lite come on?

did this just start when it got colder??

whats the miles and history of the vehicle??

what have you checked so far?? I know you said turbo..

inquiring minds want to know..

Ed2000
11-02-2006, 15:54
sooo... does it smoothe out when it gets warm??? NO

does the check engine lite come on? NO, and NO codes from OBD II Scanner

did this just start when it got colder?? NO

whats the miles and history of the vehicle?? 204,000

what have you checked so far?? I know you said turbo..

inquiring minds want to know..

I have checked the intake for good air, and Turbo is working, plus wastegate. I was told today to place a pressure gauge after the fuel lift pump and check for proper pressure, plus check the boost pressure. I will be doing this tomorrow. I suspect from what I have been told, that my fuel injection pump has gone bad, which is unable to deliver the appropriate fuel pressures, etc.

What do you think?

Shikaroka
11-03-2006, 09:32
sooo... does it smoothe out when it gets warm???

does the check engine lite come on?

did this just start when it got colder??

whats the miles and history of the vehicle??

Mine did the same thing, but would sometimes smoothe out after a few minutes.
I replaced all of my injectors and it now runs great!
If you don't know how old your injectors are, I'd look into replacing them. Most people recommend replacing them every 100k miles or so, even if you don't think they are bad.

Ed2000
11-03-2006, 13:54
Mine did the same thing, but would sometimes smoothe out after a few minutes.
I replaced all of my injectors and it now runs great!
If you don't know how old your injectors are, I'd look into replacing them. Most people recommend replacing them every 100k miles or so, even if you don't think they are bad.

That is what it looking like. I have 203,000 miles on it. It acts almost like if it had water contamination, but I have check that. I ran some Marvel Mistry Oil through it under load, hoping if it was a bad injector is would free-up, etc, but still have the problem. Although, it does idle btter now, and smoother, but still missing at high speeds.

Thanks

Ed