PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

mhagie
11-01-2006, 19:35
I have a 6.5 with a Banks Turbo (6.2) in my 80 in which the kit came with a 3" exhaust system from turbo all the way back.
The muffler is huge, I wonder how it would sound if one was to straight pipe it?
The thing is just way to quiet the way it is but I don't want it to sound like crap either.
Any body tried anything like this?
Merle

Robyn
11-01-2006, 22:39
The 6.2/6.5 with straight stacks are, well, um, Hmmmm just bad sounding.
The fact that they have a weird firing order does not help. They dont sound like a Big block at all.

Bnave95
11-02-2006, 04:52
Going through the turbo than stright piping is'nt to loud. Has a deep roor.

Reinouir
11-02-2006, 10:57
Going through the turbo than stright piping is'nt to loud. Has a deep roor.

and a nice whistle :D

mhagie
11-02-2006, 22:02
I do know for a fact that a 6.2 with the duals straight piped sounds worse that a old flathead furd, unless one installs an equalizer pipe between the two sides but I have never heard one with a turbo straight piped, thus the question.
Merle

DA BIG ONE
11-03-2006, 03:49
IMHO opinion the motor sounds like a big blk missing a few beats, hard to get used too. Even sound like there maybe something wrong w/motor but as robin says it's the firing order & even called it when I inquired about it sounding weird, I'm use to it now.

Turbo diesels are not too loud like turbo gassers, I like the mellow roar from a straight flow through race muffler, it's about 22" long glass pack design costing $39. @ summit racing.

MrEdd
11-03-2006, 10:37
I have a straight pipe on my '98 and it sounds like a flowmaster, but deeper. The idle isn't drastically noticeable, but there's definitely a rumble. Normal driving may be too quiet for what it seems like you want, but when you lay on it it'll get loud with the rest of 'em. The turbo also doesn't make that annoying super high pitch "pff" noise. It sounds like a big blast of wind (which it should...)

garre1tt
11-08-2006, 02:06
Had to mention this talking about sound.
My wife had anther woman tell her with up turned nose that she needed a muffler on her Suburban. My wife without missing a beat looking down her nose, told her it is suppose to sound that way. It is a diesel.
The other woman backed down quick understanding that she did not want to go there.

My wife has told me many times it is loud but nobody can tell her the same. She will not trade it for the world.

Michael D.