PDA

View Full Version : '07 LBZ Loose Exhaust Clamp

40grit
10-31-2006, 18:29
OK, FNG to here, but I've lingered around here for a while, lots of great info on this site, thanks...

Now that the buttkissing is done:D ...
I got my '07 about a month ago. Clamp on the exhaust at turbo downpipe came loose at 85 miles. It caused a noticeable elevation in turbo noise. Dealer told me "That's a normal diesel noise", I took it home, looked under truck around passenger inner fender. I found the clamp not touching both pipes all the way around. I went back to same dealer the next day, pointed right to the problem and they fixed it. Now again at 1100 miles, it's leaking again. I can see soot around it on one side. Anyone else having this clamp loosen up? I'm starting to beleive the exhaust needs aligning or something stupid like that...

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2006, 18:41
Welcome to the Forums!

There has to be something wrong with that connection. Even if they aren't alligned, the clamp will pull the ends together. Either the pipe(s) or clamp is defective. Absolutely no reason for it.

The connection is easy enough to manage. If you are handy, take it apart and have a look for yourself. There's no gasket or any surprises. Just the two flared ends and a V clamp.

40grit
10-31-2006, 18:46
I pulled it apart over the weekend, i had to pull it forward and wedge it with a piece of wood against the frame to get it centered, but then during the tightening, it moved out of center...kinda back a little and toward the motor..lets the exhaust leak out the fender side..I can even see the seating mark on the upper half where it doesn't line up...maybe I'll try loosening the exhaustpipe mounts this weekend and try again...

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2006, 18:56
If it's not lining up, have your dealer install either a new downpipe, or exhaust system, whichever is the problem. You have a brand new truck, and it should not have this problem. There is an obvious manufacturer's defect involved. You'd think they couldn't screw up a no-brainer system like exhaust.

There haven't been any issues that I know of involving the exhaust systems, other than early models (2001) with cracked mounting tabs on the downpipe (updated). If your pipes are stressed, something will give, sooner or later. They need to fit.

40grit
10-31-2006, 18:59
You'd think they couldn't screw up a no-brainer system like exhaust.

I'm giving the assembly line workers the benefit of the doubt..I assume they were more concerned about their impending benefit loses than aligning this perfect...I guess it's time to go visit the dealer again....

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2006, 19:04
If those workers were so concerned, it effected the quality of their work, maybe we need to find out what else they are responsible for. I hope it's not the airbags, axle nuts or brakes!