PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 heads in a 6.5?

OgreOwner
10-28-2006, 20:53
Hello all. I just got a deal that I could not pass up.
1994 Chevy 1 ton with stakebed, and cracked heads. Seems the previous owner brought it in for an injector pump rebuild and once that was done, the cracked heads showed up. He gave it to the shop and they sold it to me for the cost of the pump rebuild ($1,500) and sold me a worn out engine for the heads for $500. I am into the vehicle to the tune of $2,200 after sales tax and registration.

Not sure if I got a good deal or got taken to the cleaners.

I got the donor engine home today and hoisted it up and started taking stuff off trying to identify holes to put the beast into an engine stand. The casting mark on the right side of the block says it is a 6.2L.

Will the heads from that 6.2L fit onto the 6.5L Turbo in the vehicle?
Anything I should do other than new gaskets to the donor heads before I slap them on?

I have been a shade-tree mechanic for 40 years. Used to totally rebuild the Honda AN600 engines when those pregnant rollerskates got old enough that the Honda dealerships wouldn't touch them. Still have mine, but it has been sitting for 20 years.

Karl "OgreOwner" Peterson
I did do a search and found nothing that specifically addressed this question.

gmctd
10-29-2006, 09:56
The injector angles became more vertical in ca90-91 in prep for the turbo addition - previous heads will fit but the injector angles will be a problem on the turbo side.

6.2 and 6.5 heads were the same, then, but with different pre-cups for the 6.2-6.5, and 6.5 TD

'82-84 had different injector threads.

If the heads are cracked between the intake\exhaust valves, a repair kit is available

arveetek
10-30-2006, 14:29
The injector angles became more vertical in ca90-91 in prep for the turbo addition - previous heads will fit but the injector angles will be a problem on the turbo side.

6.2 and 6.5 heads were the same, then, but with different pre-cups for the 6.2-6.5, and 6.5 TD

'82-84 had different injector threads.

If the heads are cracked between the intake\exhaust valves, a repair kit is available

All valuable information given above, except I want to clarify that '82 was the only year for coarse-thread injectors. '83 and later used fine-thread, so 6.5L injectors will fit.

Casey

Robyn
10-30-2006, 18:22
Just some food for thought.
I would not spend a plug nickel on any used GM heads of the 6.2/6.5 family.
Call up Clearwater cyl head in Fl (Look on the web) and they will send you a set including shipping and they pay the freight back. $670 per pair. These are new castings not rebuilts or welded up stockers.
The work entailed to do a set of heads is not worth the pain and suffering to use a set of used heads.
You need a set of new bolts too as these engines use TTL bolts ( Torque to yield)

Just what I did last spring. Good product, good price, great service.
These heads will fit right and all the goodies will bolt right on.
Robyn

OgreOwner
11-01-2006, 21:12
Thanks for all the responses.

I got the old engine onto a stand last evening as trick or treaters came by.
Got the heads off. Took them by the shop that sold me the truck, and they are cracked between the valves.

Now my dilemma is repair, rebuild, new heads from local vendors or mail order. Checker Auto sells heads for $275 each. Pros and cons of Clearwater?

Karl Peterson