PDA

View Full Version : Oil Slick

dstoops
10-28-2006, 06:35
My 6.5 has always stayed fairly clean. Recently I had the IP replaced at a local shop and since then I keep getting engine oil all over the pass side intake manifold and firewall. I called them about it and they said that "all 6.5's do that, probably coming from the crancase vent" I'd like to fix it myself ..Is this a common problem? I cant see a specific leak,,,just oil in that area.

NH2112
10-28-2006, 08:08
The first thing I'd do is get the engine and underhood spotlessly clean, then idle the engine for a little while to see if you can pinpoint where the oil's coming from. You could use a leak-detecting kit (dye for the oil, UV light, yellow glasses) to make it easier. Places I'd look are around the CDR canister, where the CDR hose goes into the airbox, and the gasket between IP and block (this would suck, but I think you could get them to do it right for free if that's the case.)

dstoops
10-28-2006, 14:50
Don't see anything at idle but after driving it for 30 min or so I'm seeing just a little seepage from the "lid" on top of the intake manifold..Guess I'll take that off and see if there's supposed to be a gasket on it. Maybe it's broke!!
Thanks for the reply 2112!

Robyn
10-30-2006, 07:03
There should be a gasket between the "top hat" and the manifold.
The gasket is cheap and easy to replace.
Clean both surfaces and be sure they are oil free. Use a thin film of High Temp black silicone on both sides of the gasket and replace the top hat.
You may also want to replace the CDR valve (Can that plugs into the left Valve cover) be sure all the hoses from the CDR to the intake ar in good shape too and not broken

Big Green
10-30-2006, 12:17
The CDR valve would also be a good place to start. It's a cheap 20min and a screw driver repair.

I'd also check the oil line that feeds the turbo charger. It's on the passenger