PDA

View Full Version : duramax 3500 dropping out on load

cornbread54
10-25-2006, 16:19
need help 3500 duramax 10,000 pounds of trailer about five miles of towing and truck drops to 2000rpm and 25 mph ? only code showing p0093 and p0380 changed pcm today not the problem. HELP!

DmaxMaverick
10-25-2006, 18:04
Welcome to the Forums!

P0380....One or more failed glow plugs, or poor connection. Easy enough to check, but this won't cause the "limp mode" you are experiencing.

P0093....Fuel rail pressure not correct. When was the last fuel filter change? If not since your issues surfaced, change it. Change it anyway, regardless. you could get lucky, and that's all that's needed. A plugged filter can and will cause a P0093. If you have changed your filters frequently, it's possible you got a slug of contaminated fuel. If the filter change cures the problem temporarily, that's probably the reason.

Other reasons.... (not in a specific order)
-Fuel pump failure.
-Excessive fuel return. Could be injectors. Check for fuel in the crankcase.
-FPR failure or poor connection (Fuel Pressure Regulator). You will need a scanner or Tech II device to determine the desired/actual fuel pressures. More than a 20 MPa differential will cause the DTC.

The DTC, if the problem is corrected, will reset itself after 40 warm-up cycles without the problem. The SES lamp may stay on, but it won't "limp" if you fixed it.

If your truck is a 2001-2003 (kinda' important...you didn't specify), and it turns out to be injectors, they should be covered under the 7 year/200K warranty. 2004 may be covered if it's an LB7. 2004.5 and later, your 5 year/100K engine warranty will cover any of the above problems, except the filter. You also have an emmissions warranty that covers any part of fuel delivery, but it's specific to your state, or Federal standard.

If you got some contaminated fuel, all bets are off. That will come out of your pocket, and you have to get reimbursement from the fuel supplier.

cornbread54
10-25-2006, 18:58
the truck is 2001 3500 when running light truck runs fine cant get problem to show up without weight changed filter and fuel sender in tank and today changed ecm. still drops to 2000rpm and 25mph. can shut truck off for 5min restart problem solved for another 5to 8 miles

DmaxMaverick
10-25-2006, 21:11
Keep a close eye on your oil level. If it increases, or starts smelling like fuel, you found your leak. Other symptoms are rough idle, white/gray smoke, harder starts and/or low oil pressure. You may be due for injectors. GM will pick up the tab for that. If it's the FPR, replacing isn't too difficult, if you are handy.

Why did you change the PCM? On who's advice? PCM problems are very rare. Why the tank sender?

The 2000 RPM max is "Limp Mode", and will happen if the PCM thinks something is drastically wrong. Restarting will usually clear the limp mode, until the reason returns. The SES lamp will stay on, though.

cornbread54
10-26-2006, 05:59
hi reason for sender change dirty filter dirty tank cleaned tank while working to clean sender wire broke had to replace . using tuner to get code p0093 thaught it was fuel problem so changed ecm [$556.00 mistake ]dealer said i need to program ecm but just put it on truck started drove around fine then hooked to trailer and made it about 6 miles back to problem. changed oil lower pressure and seamed thin. but truck doesnt run rought does seam to white smoke since problem. thanks for info

DmaxMaverick
10-26-2006, 08:08
Thin oil + low pressure + white smoke = INJECTORS. Get it to a dealer, and not the one that talked you into a PCM! They should have caught this the first time. Get your money back on the PCM!

niemo
10-27-2006, 18:14
Was heading to a youth hunt with my son pulling trailer (approx. 10,000 lbs), got on freeway began to accelerate SES light comes on, get to about 62 mph and truck began to shake, I backed off and it quit. Tried to accelerate again at about 62 mph truck lost power (I guess this is limp mode). Got truck and trailer back home, took truck to get codes read and they were P0234 and P0093. SES light went off before I got back home. I was told to change fuel filter which I did, took trailer back out for test run same thing SES light and limp mode around 63 mph or so. Oh by the way without trailer truck seems to run fine no issues. I have 2001 2500HD D/A CC 2WD w/ 100,000 miles, 4" exhaust, AFE intake, edge w/attitude set on tow mode. Any heads up before I take it to the dealer. I'm not sure what code P0234 is?

DmaxMaverick
10-27-2006, 18:30
Was heading to a youth hunt with my son pulling trailer (approx. 10,000 lbs), got on freeway began to accelerate SES light comes on, get to about 62 mph and truck began to shake, I backed off and it quit. Tried to accelerate again at about 62 mph truck lost power (I guess this is limp mode). Got truck and trailer back home, took truck to get codes read and they were P0234 and P0093. SES light went off before I got back home. I was told to change fuel filter which I did, took trailer back out for test run same thing SES light and limp mode around 63 mph or so. Oh by the way without trailer truck seems to run fine no issues. I have 2001 2500HD D/A CC 2WD w/ 100,000 miles, 4" exhaust, AFE intake, edge w/attitude set on tow mode. Any heads up before I take it to the dealer. I'm not sure what code P0234 is?

P0234 is overboost.

Advice before taking it in???? Pull the Edge/Attitude. Unless you have a very good relationship with your service manager, this can cause a real headache with warranty claims. You may find, after removing the Edge, the dealer won't be able to duplicate the boost problem. A fuel filter change may cure the P0093, but the P0234 is probably related to the Edge. Are you using a boost valve of any sort?

niemo
10-28-2006, 05:08
no boost valve

DmaxMaverick
10-28-2006, 07:59
I suggest you pull the Edge and flog it under the same conditions as before. If you get no codes or limp, that will be what your dealer sees. If they can't duplicate your issue, it isn't likely they will do anything, other than take you for diagnostic charges.

Address the P0093. A fresh fuel filter may cure that. Your two codes don't make sense together. P0093 is telling us you have too little fuel available, and the P0234 shouldn't be able to happen with too little fuel. Your problem may stem from the Edge usage, and the code(s) may be eroneous.

niemo
10-30-2006, 06:35
I have already changed the fuel filter, same outcome. I will remove the Edge and see what happens. Thanks for the info, I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

niemo
10-31-2006, 06:14
Well before I could get home to remove Edge diesel was everywhere under my truck & in the oil. Removed Edge and went to dealer, I am supposed to hear from them today about diagnosis. From what I've read on this site it sounds like the injectors? They should be under warranty? How do they decide if they are going to replace one or all of them? What is that Service Bulletin # so I can be a little educated about this. This is a great site for information, thanks to everyone who contributes.

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2006, 08:35
That's a pretty good indicator it is the injectors. They will replace all 8, in accordance with the TSB. Find out BEFORE they start the repair what they are doing. Some dealers opt to replace only the failed injectors, which is not consistent with the bulletin, and you will have issues trying to get something done with later problems. It will be covered under the extended 7 year/200K injector warranty.

The TSB # is 04039, dated 5-26-04. There is an updated bulletin, but it only adds later models to the qualifying list.

niemo
11-01-2006, 08:53
Dealer called me, it was the injectors, they are going to replace all eight. Should have truck back by Friday. Is there any kind of break-in or something I should do now that I have had this problem? I'm diffenantly thinking about adding second fuel filter. Are there any other suggestions.

DmaxMaverick
11-01-2006, 10:51
No break in. Just drive it.

Points to ponder:

Be choosey about fuel. Stay away from low traffic, low volume, side-alley stations.

Choose a good additive, and keep your fuel treated. At the very least, the additive needs to improve lubrication. Water control is good, and a cetane booster will smooth out the running, and return better mileage. Usually, the cost of a good cetane booster will return itself with mileage gains. Please, don't ask here, "what additive should I use". That's like asking what is the best brand of underwear. Search the forums, and make you decisions based on what you think is best for your needs and availablility.

If you are considering additional filtration, do it now. Don't wait. There are a lot of excellent systems available. I suggest looking at what TDP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) have to offer. You won't find anything better somewhere else.

Change the oil. The dealer should have changed it along with the injector repair. If not, make them do it. The injectors caused the contaminated oil. Change it again after about 1000 miles and get back on your regular maintenance schedule. Running fuel through the system may have loosened up who knows what, and you should get it out as soon as practical.

Did the dealer clean the underside of your truck? If not, it is their responsibility. Also check the wax coating on the frame. Diesel will soften it, and cause it to leave bare metal. The dealer should replace any damaged coating with a suitable repair coating.

Check underhood. Many times, things don't go back where they came from. Check for missing bolts (like dipstick mounting tab), loose wire harnesses, and chafe points. If anything rests against an IC pipe, it will chafe a hole in it very quickly. Same with fuel and coolant lines.

Enjoy your truck again. Don't worry about what happened. We have no evidence showing this situation has any long term effects, if everything was done right.

niemo
11-04-2006, 10:03
Well I didn't get my truck on Friday apparently one of the new injectors was damaged during shipping. Service Rep says they can not stock extra injectors any longer that they must order them with a vin #? Anyway should have my truck Monday, Thanks for all the advice.

cornbread54
11-05-2006, 20:22
truck at dealer said injectors bad [ all 8 must go under warrenty ] thanks for all the help !