PDA

View Full Version : Super boost sensor data needed

DA BIG ONE
10-25-2006, 03:33
Would like easy to understand data for the super boost sensor (MAP). I'm wondering if going to a 2 bar sensor would be workable, or would a boost fooler (like JK's) be better?

I know that the sensor sends boost signal to emc and @ high boost more fuel is delivered, but what happens when boost goes past 1 bar (sensors limit)?
I'm thinking at boost levels over 1bar emc will limit fuel output, is this right?

Wondering, if fooling signal delivers fuel later, or?

JohnC
10-25-2006, 10:55
I know that the sensor sends boost signal to emc and @ high boost more fuel is delivered,

I don't think it's that smart. The pcm schedules fuel and boost based on throttle and RPM. It looks at the MAP to see how it's doing on boost and uses the feedback to fine tune the solenoid duty cycle. The only time I know if when boost affects fuel is when the boost goes too high; the PCM pulls fuel. Later trucks may also code on low boost, but earlier ones do not.

Putting the 2 bar sensor in skews all the readings proportionally. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

More Power
10-25-2006, 12:12
One thing the 6.5 has always needed (in my opinion) is a mechanical wastegate actuator that responds to boost pressure - not turbine backpressure. Better boost regulation and a much flatter engine torque curve should be the result.

I'd would like to experiment with an adjustable wastegate actuator similar to the one Banks produces for the LB7 Duramax (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/bighead.htm) - if it'll adjust to 14 psi for the GM-series turbos.

In addition, the turbo ronniejoe used this summer for the Pull-Off or a 7.3L wastegated turbo offered by Banks would be good ones to experiment with. :)

Jim

DA BIG ONE
11-09-2006, 04:15
One thing the 6.5 has always needed (in my opinion) is a mechanical wastegate actuator that responds to boost pressure - not turbine backpressure. Better boost regulation and a much flatter engine torque curve should be the result.

I'd would like to experiment with an adjustable wastegate actuator similar to the one Banks produces for the LB7 Duramax (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/bighead.htm) - if it'll adjust to 14 psi for the GM-series turbos.

In addition, the turbo ronniejoe used this summer for the Pull-Off or a 7.3L wastegated turbo offered by Banks would be good ones to experiment with. :)

Jim

Jim, I'm guessing I can get any aftermarket actuator setup like the banks big head then tap into compressor for feed to actuator? Where exactly should I tap for compressor pressure?

The 7.3 Ltr PS turbo should it be a stock unit, or? I'm not looking for greater boost gains, but more flow which I'm thinking in my case will bring down egt's.

More Power
11-12-2006, 13:31
The boost pressure tap for the LB7 Duramax turbo is near the compressor outlet. This is more likely a location of convenience, as I think a boost tap for the wastegate actuator can be located anywhere from the compressor outlet to the intake manifold.

I'm not sure what Gale Banks had in mind when he suggested some years ago that their 7.3L wastegated turbo might work well for the 6.5. Knowing how things work, I'd lean toward thinking their stock turbo was the focus - as I doubt they'd produce something special for such a small 6.5 market.

Now, I also think an LB7 turbo would be worth trying - if boost pressure could be adjusted downward to no more than 15 psi for a 20+:1 6.5 engine.

Higher engine rpm with a suitable turbo does a few things.... 1- Horsepower. 2- Higher water pump flow. 3- More air through the engine - cooling. 4- Higher airflow through the radiator (higher fan speed). The factory GM-series of turbos choke upper rpm performance, which results in the 6.5 pulling best at about 1800-2200 rpm. A more free-flowing turbo should allow the same effective pulling power through 3000. Will this affect the crack prone 1996-2000 6.5 blocks? Could, might, dunno.

Jim