PDA

View Full Version : EGT Probe Placement

Foley
10-23-2006, 18:43
Hello all,
Finally getting around to installing my gauges I bought myself for father's day... yeah, anyway, found a thread on another site stating that drilling and tapping the passenger side manifold might not be the best thing. Apparently, this person says that his cracked, and added that others are probably cracked as well and don't know it. He suggested getting the BD driver side manifold that has a port set up for the EGT Probe and also is not restricted like the factory one appears to be. See the link---> http://www.bd-power.com/gmc/product.php?pn=BD%20Duramax%20Manifold&tt=gmc

So, all of that being said, anyone having problems with their passenger side manifold cracking? I'm thinking about drilling and tapping the driver side, so in the event it does crack, I'll just replace it with the BD Power unit.

Am I being paranoid? I appreciate the input.

Wes

DmaxMaverick
10-23-2006, 19:10
While possible, I haven't heard of any cracked manifolds. Here, anyway. I'd suspect over tightening of the bushing, or some other improper procedure. It's cast, so you don't want to do it cold, as well. There are hundreds (or seems like it) of folks here that have done it, and no reports of cracked man's. If done right, like is described here, over and over, there should be no concern of cracking. The driver side is such a hastle, I don't think it would be worth it for one probe. If you are already planning a BD DS manifold, just do it, once, and be done with it. You'll likely have to pull the manifold (or other significant parts), anyway, to drill/tap it.

Inspector
10-23-2006, 19:48
I've done both sides. Its a little tighter on the drivers side but it can be done. Like D-max said do it hot if you can. I step drilled to the proper size for the bushings. I had the truck idleing so that the drillings would be blown out of the hole. Wear your safty goggles or glasses that wrap around your temples when doing this procedure.
It worked for me.
Use a good anti-seize when installing the bushing and don't over tighten.
Denny

Kennedy
10-24-2006, 06:30
Yes they can and do crack, but I find that it is typically something that happens when we push the power up and put a lot of heat in the manifold. The BD manifold is a good idea if you are concerned. I've cracked several RH manifolds and it's really no big deal. There isn't really any significant leakage from these minor cracks.

More Power
10-24-2006, 09:42
I installed a pyrometer in the RH manifold of my 2001 GMC 4-1/2 years ago, and I installed a pyro in both the RH & LH manifolds in Lil Red. I've not seen any cracks. Both Banks & Edge recommend drilling/tapping the RH manifold (as do [I suspect] most aftermarket gauge vendors).

Hearing of cracks is news to me. Based on JK's post, if you're into competition, and see 1500 degrees or higher on occasion (or up to 2000, as some do), the BD manifold might be a good choice.

Jim

Kennedy
10-24-2006, 15:45
I've melted/distorted the accordion bellows on the turbo feed pipes also. This was on a customer truck that had injector issues.

I haven't watched myself, but others have watched these pipes and the manifolds glow during dyno runs of a mere 15 seconds...