PDA

View Full Version : COULD IT BE....

panchosteam
11-26-2003, 20:35
Hi guys,
could my transmission be making like a grinding noise when idling or am i dreaming?
sometimes you could hear the noise, if i step on the diesel(not the gas)it will go away,some times it will make the noise and sometimes it won't. I have not been able to test drive this truck on a long trip because I work and because it kind of starts to get hot after like 10 min. driving it ,it's running about 220 most of the time and sometimes even almost close to the 240 but it will go down if i get off the freeway and go on the streets, it still runs about 220 on the street, is this normal or is it because of my transmission not keeping up with the 6.5 engine?the vaccuum regulator valve is not working so i pluggd the two hoses together for now, it shifts up ok but i do not get the last gear out of the transmission, like if i'm on the freeway and start hitting the 55 and over, it kind of feels like the transmission is not responding after that and that is probably when the engine gets hotter, could it be because i'm not using the vacuum regulator? i replaced the dual thermostats and i guess they are both working, i just don't understand why it will be always running 220? i got my radiator rebuit, i don't think that will be my problem. Any help will be appreciated . Thank you guys.

1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD ENGINE

turbovair
11-26-2003, 22:25
220 to 240 is too high.Have you cleaned your AC condensor lately? Junk builds up and blocks airflow to the radiator.Check fan clutch..get engine hot, shut down, jump out, lift hood and flip fan with hand. If it rotates much more than 90 degrees, clutch is shot.Water pump may be shot. Pinch upper rad hose at temp and release. You should feel large"surge" of coolant.

panchosteam
11-27-2003, 10:26
Thank you Turbovair,that is what i'll do today, when you say condensor, is that infront of my radiator? i'll check the fan clutch, what do you think about my transmission?
could it be going bad on my? looks like we probably have the same engine, i will let you know what happens on the fan test thank you for your response.

1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW, WITH 6.5 TD, TURBO MASTER FROM HEATH

turbovair
11-27-2003, 18:40
Yes, the large unit right in front of the engine radiator.I think most 6.5 drivers would agree to thouroughly clean both radiator and condensor at least every other year.You can back flush(back to front) the radiator fins with a garden hose, but to thoroughly clean the condensor, I recommend pulling the radiator.When I did my water pump/timing chain, I spent a few hours picking all the junk (rocks) out of radiator with a pick, then I pulled the front grill and did the same to the condensor.Look carefully where the trans and engine oil cooler mount. Junk builds up between them and the condensor also. FYI, here in Phoenix in the summer the highest temps I saw were right around 205-210.That was after exiting the freeway from 65 and coming to a stop. Now that I've upgraded the cooling system, I'm waiting for hot weather again to compare temps to last years.

panchosteam
11-27-2003, 21:33
I went to check on the fan clutch and i guess is not working, i let the engine get to over 200 and turned it off then went out and check the fan rotation and it turned all the way around nothing stoped it, it just kept on turning if i did it so i guess i need one, could the one off my 6.2 work?
i'm talking about just the clutch, that will be only a test and untill i get some money, because i run out of it on the up grade. What do you think turbovair?
after that i'll be working on the grinding noise and litle leaks on my injectors, only the last ones on each side leak and looks like diesel maight be coming out of where the injectors bolt to,i almost forgot the intake,i don'thave one yet,i was trying to save some money and get an after market one,because the dealer wants about $260 for the complete sistem so i'll wait on that any way i'm not using the truck right now,the condensor looks real clean from the front ot the engine and on the back,i didn't see any leaves or anything before i mounted the radiator . Thank you for responding.

1984 SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD ENGINE AND TURBO MASTER

Barry Nave
11-28-2003, 03:21
Could be the rubber bleed hose on the injectors that are leaking or the end plug cap on the last two rear injectors.
Are you running the Rad. for a 6.5 or is it the same as when you had the 6.2
I'm not sure if there's a different Rad. between the Two model's?

panchosteam
11-28-2003, 19:41
Yes Bnave95, im keept my 6.2 radiator and yes they both different,my old radiator has cooling for the engine and transmission and the one for the 96 only has for either one,my return lines do get a litle wet,but i can see that the diesel comes out of where the injectors bolt on,is probably the coper between the injector and the engine,so i'll have to check on that,i wont have time untill next week, too bad i'm not enjoying all that power that is just sitting there,well i'm not that desperate, i already waited longer for my engine so it's ok with me,next up grade will be the gauges,rims and probably a paint job,well guys that is all for now. Thank you for your responses .

1984 SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND TURBO MASTER

already waited longer