PDA

View Full Version : Air leak, running out of ideas...

Jgreemo
10-21-2006, 19:28
Hi guys, I followed John's idea and installed a clear line (the original line was rotten as well) from the IP to the hard return line and saw NO air bubbles with the engine running. After I shut it down, the line started bubbling (bubbles coming from the return side of the line) and rather quickly drained out. Do the return lines stay full of fuel after shutdown or do they typically drain back to the tank? If they don't stay full, at least I can be sure I have a leak some where, but read on.

I have also fitted a schrader valve to a fuel cap as John detailed, pressurized the tank (got about 10 psi holding steady) and saw no leaks, either under the chassis or on the engine. I'm going to power wash the whole thing again and try a few more times, but not all that optimistic that something will turn up.

So far, I have put in a new lift pump, fuel lines at the pump, and return lines in order to correct a hard starting problem. Additionally, I have put in a new starter, batteries and cables as they were due and I checked the GP's (JK quick heats with an upgraded controller) and they do heat (also plugged it in for 3 hours on a warm day, but it didn't help). It now takes about 30 seconds of cranking to get it going with a big cloud of white smoke once it does, when it used to fire after just a quick turn of the key. Once it's running, I can shut down and it'll fire right back up (no smoke), but if it sits for more than 10 minutes the hard starting begins (or doesn't) all over again (usually with no smoke). Cranking rpm's are good, or at least way better than with the old starter/batteries combo.

It does seem to be a air issue, and I even cracked the front injectors to bleed them, as it took quite a bit of cranking for the fuel to weep out. Any ideas? Not really wanting to drop money on a Racor filter unit with out really knowing what the problem is.

The engine is about 4 years old (rebuilt by DSG) with fairly low miles, ~40,000.

Thanks for the help.
Jon

ZZ
10-21-2006, 19:40
Is there a valve in the return line that is mounted next to the "gooseneck"

My '90 has a valve here and the bottom hose was cracked at the clamp. It had starting issues every morning. I worried with this several weeks till a local shop finally found it.

Jgreemo
10-21-2006, 19:52
Thanks for the quick reply ZZ. By gooseneck, do you mean up front by the oil add tube? If you can be a little more specific, I'll check it first thing. I wouldn't be surprised to find a cracked hose, as they all seem to be in pretty bad shape.

Thanks again,
Jon

ZZ
10-21-2006, 19:56
Yes, it's the water outlet where the thermostat is. I don't know if '85 was made like the '90

Subzilla
03-09-2007, 11:48
Jon,
Did you ever figure your starting issue out? I've now got the exact symptoms. GP's check fine, replaced the fuel filter and I plan to go through the fuel system air leak test this weekend. The Blazer use to start in about 1 second or less and now it's taking 5 - 10 seconds after sitting overnight in a warm garage. Driving me crazy!

Jgreemo
03-09-2007, 13:17
Hi Mark, I did finally figure out the problem. Originally, I had some very badly cracked fuel line, which was leaving a puddle of fuel on the ground. I replaced all of it, bled the system and wouldn