PDA

View Full Version : How much do you smoke?

redrider#1
10-18-2006, 20:06
I just noticed a very small amount of smoke at idle. I mean the sun and wind have to be just right and if you hold your head at just the right angle, you can see a steady puff of smoke from the exhaust.

Now, the color of smoke at times seems white, but at other times seems blueish/black. I have noticed a little more black smoke when I get on the "gas" with edge on level 3 as well, but never white smoke upon acceleration, only black.

Fuel filter and air filter changed about 4k ago.

I am not "making" oil, and oil smells like oil (not diesel). No rough idle, hard start or loss of power.

Am I being paranoid, or is this a sign of things to come (new injectors)?

Stlheadake
10-19-2006, 06:11
Hey Red, mine does the same. Although my smoke is always black at idle and on accelleration. My truck is stock, no mods yet. Under accelleration I have lots of black smoke, but hey that's what diesels do.

I think we are just being too paranoid. I only notice the light smoke at idle AFTER I have pulled (like while I am unhitching my travel trailer). After the truck has cooled down, it doesn't smoke any more.

Dmax Cutter
10-19-2006, 07:34
I requested a check of injectors while having a service after a recent long trip. During the trip, I noticed increased black smoke under acceleration. Even at idle I was making enough smoke (barely visible) to smell in the truck.
They found two injectors way out of tolerance. The truck is a '02, 65k miles. I have always used the Stanadyne additives, and the fuel filters is changed at 7-8k mile intervals.
Three days of driving a nice courtesy CTS, no more smoke, and the truck makes better acceleration. Eight new injectors, no charge and they washed and vacuumed it.............