PDA

View Full Version : lift pump location

Buckle
10-16-2006, 06:28
when I first turned the ignition on to let the glow plug light go out, the lift pump would turn on with a kind of a buzz sound( not making it anymore), and now I think it packed it in. were can I find the lift pump to fixit? Or how can I properly diagnose it?
Thanks all

cudaaa
10-16-2006, 06:43
It is in the driver side frame rail. Back about as far as the tailshaft of the tranny. If it is original I would replace it & I would change the oil pressure switch also. Hope this helps cudaaa

rjwest
10-16-2006, 12:28
1996, oil pressure sw probably not needed...to be replaced.

Buckle
10-16-2006, 17:17
oh the thing that looks like a gasser inline fuel filter?

a5150nut
10-16-2006, 20:48
yep! Right under yer left foot. No the OTHER left!

tommac95
10-18-2006, 17:42
Pressure and volume test of some value-
Often the LPs heat up when failing, as one of their internal driver transistors freezes in ON state.

It is also possibly working OK: If air has bleeded out of system, the pumps silence. When run on no backpressure the pump plunger stroke maxes out , emitting a throbbing tune. When run through restriction the pump builds pressure (purring) until regulated pressure attained , then the stroke minimizes and noise level drops.

DennisG01
10-19-2006, 05:16
If you do end up replacing the lift pump, do yourself a favor - wait until your fuel tank is close to empty and park with the front of the truck up higher than the rear. Also, have a plug of some kind ready to plug up the fuel line when you remove the pump. Trust me... ;)

ZZ
10-19-2006, 12:40
Damn good advice. I learned this the hard way a couple of years ago. I was laying under my truck changing the lift pump with the tank near full. I got fuel in my left ear that afternoon, and spent a few hours in the ER that night. I'm here to tell you that quick infection was some kind of painful.

Bnave95
10-22-2006, 05:08
What I fine insteresting, I got my truck back in 98 with 45k and have yet needed to replace oil switch of lift pump. Truck very close to 170K.
More than likely these items must of been changed out with the PMD issue?

baddiesel
10-26-2006, 12:30
near the thermostat housing there is a tee handle valve take the rubber house and place it in a container open the valve with engine running you should have a good volume of fuel coming out and engine should stay running