PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Glowplug relay question..??..

ccole
10-15-2006, 20:01
Hello friends,
Workin' on the old 6.2 and have encountered a problem/question. It is a 1984 1/2ton with light duty 6.2. The previous owner evidently had problems with the glowplug system and installed a manual switch (by juming the (2) large lugs on the glowplug relay). Anyways, I installed all new glowplugs, new glowplug controller and done away with the inhibit switch. I got everything put back together and turned the ignition switch over to "ON" and can hear the relay on the driver side fender cycle as these systems were supposed to (relay clicked on for approx 6 seconds, off for 4 seconds, and then a couple short ON cycles). Anyway, my problem is, the "Wait to Start" light is not illuminating during cycle times, NOR are the glowplugs heating up. But, I can still use the manual switch that has been installed (jumping the large (2) studs on the relay) and the light illuminates and the glowplugs do heat up.

So......is my relay bad? That is my guess, but I can hear the darn thing clicking/cycling like it is supposed to. What do u experts think? Thank you in advance!

murphyslaw
10-15-2006, 20:26
first thing id do is take my multi meter and check to see if you are gettin 12v at the relay feed when its cycling then do it again with the meter on the output(glowplug side) and check. if your getting good power at the feed and not at the "load" then I would suspect a bad relay.

ccole
10-16-2006, 10:45
grr..........well, I replaced the GP relay on the fender & now I have lost everything. I cannot get the new darn relay to click or do anything now.?.?. So, I put the old relay back on there and it wont do anything either. I am questioning if something got zapped during the install of the new relay. I was careful during the install of the new relay, but who knows.

Is there a fuse that could of blown that operates the controller??? Please advise. (1984 Chevy 1/2 ton). Thank you!!!!!

NH2112
10-16-2006, 10:48
I'd move the switch wiring to the 2 small terminals on the relay because these are the ones that pull the coil in. And, most importantly, with the switch on the 2 large lugs you're putting a dangerous amount of current through that switch. Then if your switch doesn't heat the glow plugs go ahead and replace the relay.