PDA

View Full Version : Locking Differential G80

BSKI
10-15-2006, 16:54
I have read some comments on the G-80, very interesting. Looking for some additional information on lockers Etc.

Is there a locker for the front that works the same way, if I installed a locker on the front end and wanted to lock out both axles before they started to slip is there a way to do this or do you just have to live with the G-80 the way it is. If I wanted to install locker front and rear so I can lock out the axles before its to late any recommendations. I am assuming if I install a manual locker the G-80 is a goner?

With all that said, is the front end of our trucks limited slip or do both axles turn regardless of traction and this is why we don't drive them on pavement in 4wd?

2007, 2500 HD 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed havnt done a damn thing to it, even still have the Pizza cutters!

DmaxMaverick
10-15-2006, 23:18
The front end is open. Meaning, no LS, locker, or otherwise. You can install a manual locker from ARB (air), or Eaton (E-Locker, electric). I DO NOT recommend ANY type of auto locker for the front. If you've ever driven on snow or ice with one, you'd understand. NO STEERING!

There is no current manual locker available that will also engage automatically. Some vehicles (like my 2000 Impala) have "traction control", but it uses the ABS system to brake the wheel losing traction. Works very well, much like a locker, and can be disabled, but not fully enabled.

The only options you have for the front/rear are OEM (open front, Gov-Loc rear, open rear), ARB (air operated), or Eaton E-Locker (electric operated). Detroit and similar type lockers are also available, but will operate similar to the OEM Gov-Loc, only backwards. The Detroit locker is locked, until low torque differential unlocks it (will not unlock under power). The Gov-Loc is open until a 100 RPM differential between wheels engages a governer (flyweights), and locks the diff. Very solid and functional design, while much more civil on the road than a Detroit.

BTW, G80 is only GM's designation for a locking rear end. The same RPO was used for limited slip, before lockers. The RPO "G80" does not designate a specific technology or component, only the technology used at the time of the model year release.

JohnC
10-16-2006, 15:18
IMHO, the Eaton locker is a great option for the average driver. It's strength is that it is NOT locked under normal conditions. If you have ever driven in the snow with a Detroit locker or similar setup, you'll know what I'm talking about. There's nothing with less directional stability than a pickup on snow with both back tires spinning!

YMMV

DA BIG ONE
10-16-2006, 15:58
I've had my frt ARB airlocker for awhile now, its great. When I had mine installed there was a design flaw that caused the locker to act as a pump pressurizing case and pumping diff lube out the vent. Since then ARB has fixed the problem and sent me all the update parts too, I had to eat the labor "no biggie", could have pressed the issue but decided not to. This GM IRS 9.25" locker is also used in the Dodge 4wd in the newer diff that replaced the dana 60, yep, all the same part numbers...............

Bottom line, my burb goes where other burbs dare not..........

BSKI
10-17-2006, 18:31
Thanks, I go to the dunes and pull a 30' toy hauler loaded to the stops, fuel buggy, quads water==== well over 12000 lbs. Once the tires start to slip its pretty much over, thats why I would like a locker for both front and rear, I dont really want to wait for the rear end to get out of sync by 100 RPm before lock up. By that point I think I am going to be stuck, I will find out for sure in about 10 days this will be my first trip with the silverado :eek:

DmaxMaverick
10-17-2006, 19:51
......I dont really want to wait for the rear end to get out of sync by 100 RPm before lock up. By that point I think I am going to be stuck......

100 RPMs sounds like a lot, but it's not. The wheel doesn't actually have to make 100 revolutions, just the speed differential. The lockup is almost immediate, less than 1/2 revolution under power. In your case, a front locker will offer some help, but not much. Sand has a way of balancing the torque between the wheels.

I spend a lot of time at Pismo (Oceano Dunes), and enjoy helping folks out of a jam (all too often). Lots of toy haulers, overweight, under-pulled, with less-than-stellar common sense behind the wheel. 4x4 doesn't mean "go anywhere", regardless of the HP, badge, lockers, stickers, etc. 12K is a lot, and 5'ers are worse than TT's in the sand. 3 axles are nice, until you try to turn. Floatation is nice going straight, but just bury themselves in a turn. With all the weight on the rear axle, you can air down only so much.