PDA

View Full Version : Two LB7s with new warranty injectors - time for more filtration?

Mark Rinker
10-15-2006, 14:59
The 2002 started blowing smoke almost 1 week to the day after the 2001 came back from the shop. It has 165K and VIN history shows it also had a couple injectors replaced earlier in the truck's history (before I owned it) but has always run well and no issues since I purchased it last spring with 117K.

I'll keep you updated, but the plan is to do the same routine maintenance:

1) Warranty injectors (I am supplying the OEM fuel lines from Ebay source)
2) 8 new glow plugs
3) 2 new thermostats
4) Inspect all fuel delivery system, R&R anything thats leaking
5) Oil and filter, fuel filter
6) Brake hydroboost leaking and covered with dirt/grime, will replace with new OEM takeoff unit from Ebay - $80.

mark45678
10-15-2006, 18:45
sounds like you may want to take a close look at your fuel ... I know you do some long distance driveing any chance its your local fuel causeing the problem? I hate to say it but more and more I think the OEM fuel filter isnt as good as it needs to be!

Keep use posted , good luck!

Mark Rinker
10-24-2006, 18:18
Got my 2002 back today with 8 fresh injectors, 8 new glow plugs, 2 new thermostats, oil/filter and fuel filter - all ready for winter duty.

Also added JK's switchable tune. http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/JKECM.htm Idle and power seem smoother and a little quieter than before - less diesel rattle at low rpms. Not sure it this is attributed to the tune, or the new injectors, but it certainly runs as smooth as my LLY did, with half the miles.

My initial reaction is that both settings are very smooth with no flat transitions or harsh shifts, unlike the higher horsepower Predator tunes I have run on the 2001 with propane. Didn't even see any black smoke on the performance setting, and she scoots for sure! I'll be towing about 350 miles tommorrow, leaving it on the 'economy' setting and report back on mileage, compared to established stock ECM averages.

Since this truck is about to turn over 170K miles, I won't be hotrodding it around, but it now is ready for another 100K, which will happen in about 18 months at the present rate...

More to follow. LIKE A ROCK.

number1motorhead
10-24-2006, 18:32
Check your PM's Mark. :)

Mark Rinker
10-24-2006, 18:35
Hey Scott, welcome aboard. You'll find a few other GM techs on here as well. We really value the experience you guys bring to the board. Take time to search archives, articles, and postings by keyword. There is a TON of information on everything GM diesel here...

number1motorhead
10-24-2006, 18:50
So do you like the new PCM? How was the install quality?...Be brutally honest, I need honest feedback. If you

Mark Rinker
10-24-2006, 19:06
Since the true bottom line is economy to my business, the jury is out until at least 10 tankfuls of fuel are through the new injectors at the new fuel rate. After that, if everything is dry, tight and still running well, it'll probably be good for another 150K.

I do have 3000 trouble-free miles on the 2001 since the same updates were made, and its running like a champ. No smoke, no leaks at the injectors. I got about 11-12 mpg towing a large boat to Atlanta, and my driver got 16-17 on the way home, empty and averaged over 60mph for the trip, so he probably had the cruise set at 70+mph all the way home.

One thing I like about working with you guys is being able to talk directly to the tech and see whats being done on my truck while its apart, understanding what you are doing, etc. That makes a big difference to me. I wouldn't work with a dealer where you had to wait behind the glass...

Mark Rinker
10-25-2006, 14:38
I have considered additional filtration, and may add it to both trucks now that they have been freshened with new injectors.

Has anyone had injector failures after adding additional filtration? What is the best setup, how expensive to purchase and install?

chipper
10-25-2006, 18:45
I have considered additional filtration, and may add it to both trucks now that they have been freshened with new injectors.

Has anyone had injector failures after adding additional filtration? What is the best setup, how expensive to purchase and install?

Cheap!!! The parts for my CAT 0750 filter cost $65.It is mountede in the 2nd alternator space, Post OEM filter, but it can be plumbed Pre OEM also. I have about 30K+ on it, no problems.

WILLYD-MAX
10-26-2006, 11:47
I for one am a big fan of kennedy's mega setup as I have installed 5 of them. They are high quality and easy to install. As for inj. failures with add. filtration.... I put additional filtration on our 02 at 24k in the form of a 2micron racor setup and then later replaced it with a mega from kennedy at 92k. We had the #7 injector replaced at 92k and all the rest replaced at 110k. They were not dumping any fuel in the oil it just smoked a fair bit at idle. I was impressed that an inj. problem did not have to put us beside the road. They were quite forgiving actually as we drove it that way for quite a few thousand miles with it smoking. The service manager at Westfall Gmc in N. KC told me it was no big rush on getting it fixed as they were under warranty. Even tho we had inj. failure with add. filtration I would still highly reccomend the add. filtration as I think it can help fuel economy slightly because the fuel is super clean.