PDA

View Full Version : "Water in fuel" light on - no water purge valve."

Mr. Bone
10-14-2006, 12:47
My "water in fuel" light is coming on since I've change my fuel pump in an '86 G30 van. I know the new pump is giving a lot more fuel to the engine. I don't know if this has anything to do with the light coming on though. My fuel filter housing does not have a purge valve at the bottom for water. It only has a valve at the top to purge air after filter changes.:confused:

Any suggestions or info. will be appreciated. Thanks.

NH2112
10-14-2006, 15:45
When does the light come on? If the filter's clogged it'll come on under acceleration. Does your van have the rectangular filter or the spin-on(s)? On the rectangular filter the water drain valve is at the bottom of the filter base, on the opposite side of the air bleed.

oilburnertoo
10-14-2006, 17:08
Most of the vans had two filters, a spin on primary in the rear, mounted to the frame rail and the secondary up front on or near the engine. The drain valve is mounted to the right rear frame rail or right rear front spring hanger bracket, can't remember for sure which one. Have a look under the right side rear of your van, its the same type 'T' handle valve they use up front on the pickups. Hope this helps you out.

john8662
10-14-2006, 22:05
Being an '86, it should have the single Model 80 fuel filter system, that is just like the pickup's, except mounted on the back of the intake. This should have two valves as well.

But, I haven't taken a close look at the van housing, since most of my experience comes from an '83 model 6.2 van.

You should be able to drain the water out of the fuel filter there, if there is any.

I suspect a connection issue on the filter housing or a bad sensor (broken off in old filter) for the light.

Do you have any fuel leaks now?

J

Mr. Bone
10-15-2006, 18:40
Hello and thanks for the input,

Believe it or not, there is not a valve on the bottom of the filter housing to purge water. As mentioned in the first entry there is one to purge air. It looks like there is a port for the option of installing a water purge valve.

While taking everything apart to figure out what to do i replaced all the rubber lines that go to the injector and such. That seemed to fix the problem - i guess?? the light doesn't come on anymore. the van starts quicker too. . . there was a bit of fuel leaking from the old rubber lines.

All this still does not solve the mystery of why no water purge valve on my filter housing:confused:

NH2112
10-16-2006, 10:42
You might have the older-style (Model 60 or 70, I think) metal filter element, it was maybe 5" high instead of the 7" (or so) Model 80 element. I believe the older style had hard lines going to it instead of rubber?

john8662
10-16-2006, 12:17
How many holes on the filter itself? If four then it's a Model 80. If it's just two, it's the previous van offering, being a secondary fuel filter.

Is there a filter underneath that looks like the oil filter? It will be after then tank, yet on the driveline side of the differential.

J