PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust straight pipe sound

MrEdd
10-11-2006, 21:17
I'm considering unbolting and removing the exhaust system from the cat back where it's only connected by a saddle bracket thingy. Before I commit and cut my exhaust system up at the tail pipe...does anyone have any input/sound clips of what the truck would sound like with the turbo and cat still in place with stock tubing? I don't really mind it if it's really loud...but if it's not that's cool too.

soulman67
10-12-2006, 18:21
It won't be loud, I ran without the muffler and it sounded good, like a gas v8 with a turbo muffler. A lot of poeple thought I had a flowmaster muffler. The cat muffles the turbo sound out of the exhaust.

Rot Box
10-13-2006, 09:45
I have mine "straight piped", and couldn't be happier. Some people like theirs really quiet, but not me. I have got a lot of comments from people I don't know on how well it sounds when driving by. I would definatly do the 3" downpipe as well (if you haven't already), as the inprovements are well worth the money ;)

DitchDr
10-13-2006, 13:17
My truck is straight pipe, no cat. I love the sound. It is not loud at all unless you stand in it. Then it just purrs........:D

I am going to do it to the VW.... Just trying to find the time.....

JTodd
10-14-2006, 08:00
I straight-piped mine a while ago. It started out as just a cat-cleaning exercise, but ended up with no cat and no muffler-just kind of spiraled out of control. The only time it is noticable is when I really get on it. I wouldn't go back.

ZZ
10-14-2006, 11:58
I had straight pipes on my 6.2, and it sounded like a gasser with glass packs. It had that "hotrod" sound. I liked the sound, but it it was too loud cruising down town with the windows down. I finally put on a pair of 40's Flowmasters.

JSteward
10-14-2006, 18:04
I'm looking into buying a 4" exhaust system. I've been thinking about running no cat and no muffler. I don't want it tooooo loud as we'll be using my truck in residential areas a lot working PR for a pipeline survey company.

MrEdd
10-16-2006, 17:05
Well, I stopped at Meineke Saturday morning for a quote. I came back and ended up paying 98 dollars for a stainless tip and a muffler delete. I must say this thing sounds mean and looks the part. My dad commented about the tip "it actually looks like a diesel!" I got a flowmaster sound and performance, performance diesel looks, and a mpg or two...all for 98 bucks. Thats a smokin deal.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/Slapfish/Diesel%20Truck/exhausttip.jpg