PDA

View Full Version : Sheesh! Fuel/Air Leaks

Jgreemo
10-10-2006, 19:07
I just replaced my return lines, lift pump, batteries, cables and starter due to hard starting issues, though batteries and starter were due. It's now a bit worse than before as it would have to sit all night before it would get tough to start, now it takes about 10 minutes. My fuel return lines were practically dust when I pulled them off, and only after 4 years. My lift pump lines were also cracked and leaking bad.

So, I plan on following this tutorial this weekend and bleeding the system afterwards. It's a major pain, but I don't want to burn up the new starter looking the leaks.

One question, my model 80 fuel filter mount is looking suspect, as there always seems to be a bit of fuel on the end of the drain hose. I am looking at the 2 micron Racor fuel filter unit with heat and water separation. For those who have installed it, how involved is it to retrofit this system?

Thanks for a great post.

john8662
10-12-2006, 07:12
As far as the Racor system, it shouldn't be too difficult, although you'll pretty much disconnect the leads going to the existing filter housing...

The seals on the fuel filter unit could have failed. This would surely cause more grief in the hard starting category.

Pressurize the fuel system and see what leaks you find!

J

Robyn
10-12-2006, 07:37
Make sure your lift pump is in good shape.
A bad lift pump can cause a truckload of grief.