PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Crankshaft Problem

JDLazor
10-09-2006, 15:46
Any way to check if broken? Engine runs with clatter.

Robyn
10-09-2006, 18:46
Oil pressure??
Most of them really shake and or come to pieces.

baker2acre
10-10-2006, 08:46
Hey John,

Sounds more like a rod to crank "slap" issue..... loose bolts or worn bearings... or maybe evan a bit of valve tap... I agree with robyn, if the crank is broken the trickle effect could/would take some other parts with it i.e. valves hitting pistons and such...:eek:

Can you describe "clatter" a little more? Any other symptoms go with it?? Is the engine "responsive"?

Les

piersbc
10-11-2006, 08:39
Harmonic balancer might need replacing.

JDLazor
10-12-2006, 17:34
Engine is responsive. Higher rpm noise/clatter goes away. Noise seems to eminate from lower passenger side. Oil pressure is stable. Have notice oil seeping from rear of engine. Transmission replace 500 miles before the noise appeared.

Dmax son
10-13-2006, 01:00
I had a clatter, at lower rpms, but anything over about 1500 rpm and the noise went away. It was the isolated crankshaft pulley, that is mounted to the harmonic balancer. The rubber was broken, and it would hit the mounting bolts, causeing the clatter sound, but it would even out as rpms went up. Also when the ac was turned on it clatter no matter what the rpm.

Bryan

Trek 6.5 TD Pusher
10-13-2006, 06:59
If the transmission was replaced 500 miles before this noise started and it clears up at higher RPM i would suspect the torque converter to flex plate mounting bolts were not torqued properly or have loosened up. Should be easy to check this as a possibility through the inspection plate.

Shikaroka
10-13-2006, 08:47
If the transmission was replaced 500 miles before this noise started and it clears up at higher RPM i would suspect the torque converter to flex plate mounting bolts were not torqued properly or have loosened up. Should be easy to check this as a possibility through the inspection plate.

That's exactly (well pretty much) what I was going to say.