PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head pre-cup fits

92 Diesel Dude
10-06-2003, 22:46
Hello, I am currently inspecting a set of cylinder heads with 15000 kms on them and have noticed that the pre-cups are basically a Size on size to a light sliding fit in the head pockets. They can be removed fom the head with very little force, generally the weight of a small brass punch. These heads were fully re-conditioned with new springs, hardened seats, collant passages tubed, but reused precups. However there is the recomended cup protrusion .003" and the stress cracks are within the fire ring.I am concerned because I expected a tighter fit in the head bores . What is the recomended interferance? Have short cuts been taken on my heads? It is obvious that the edges of the cups have had 4 center punch marks peened on to them to correct the fit problem.I've been machining long enough to know that this is far from professional, for advertised professionally quality controlled heads. I won't say at this time who the vendors are.
Regards.

DYNA
10-07-2003, 19:43
Diesel Dude don,t sweat it . If your protrusion is correct they will be tightly held . If you are nervous have them knurled ,or green loctite them in. The soot from the combustion will soon fill in the cavities and they will fit nice and snug. FWIW I had the same concerns when it came to my heads. But they worked out fine. Dyna

tom.mcinerney
10-08-2003, 06:10
I'm not a rebuilder/machinist, noted what you saw concerning loose fit/diameter. I think protrusion more important to seal. The book labels the precup material as "superalloy"...it's quite soft, apparently designed for heat resistance, not strength.
I personally found the precup crack issue more troubling; might contact Avant/Kennedy/Peninsular for their insight....