PDA

View Full Version : New IP Air Lock

1956robin
10-06-2006, 18:50
I have installed a new electronic fuel injection pump on my '94 K2500 Suburban and can't get it primed. The lift pump is working. I have not installed my turbo as I wanted the room to crack the injectors to bleed them. What is the proper method to bleed the pump and lines? Are all the injectors to be cracked at the same time or only one at a time? I have tried both with no luck. I crank for 30-45 seconds and wait for 10-15 minutes before another try. I am afraid of burning up my starter! I think that through this day, I have cranked it about a total of 8-10 minutes. I also have not installed the serpentine belt and the crank pulley is not installed yet. I just wanted to get the lines bled then finish putting it together. I am a newbie to this form and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rob

a5150nut
10-06-2006, 20:37
Relax a little. Now, did you bleed the fuel filter first? Use the vent on top and you can have someone cycle the key, or on the right of the fire wall there is a plastic cover. Inside there is a fuse for the fuel pump. You can jump it there to run the pump to get all the air out of the filter. Make sure you don't have any suction leaks in the line before the pump.

Now re-check all your injection lines to be sure they are all in the right order. IIIC the two on the lower side of the pump are real easy to cross. Now just crack the lines at the injectors until you see fuel. Now while cranking start cracking one line at a time. Allow a little fuel out, probably see bubles at first, then just clear fuel. Now tighten that line. It should start to fire one cylinder at a time. The more you get the better it runs. DO NOT use starting fluid. But you can use some WD 40 to get it to fire until you get enough injectors to work. It only takes a very small amount of fuel to work like a shock absorber and not allow the injector to POP

K. D.
10-06-2006, 20:49
You will need to crack each fuel line at the injectors one full turn. Pull off the glow plug wires and crank until you get fuel at each injector. Tighten all the fittings to 20 ft/lbs, reconnect the glow wires and try again. Make sure all fittings are tight, it doesn't take much of a leak to stop an injector from firing. It could take quite a few cycles to get the fuel to each injector, but do make sure you have fuel at each.

K.D.

1956robin
10-07-2006, 13:40
I finally got fuel to the injectors! I believe there was some air in the top of the fuel filter that I didn't get bled out the first time because after bleeding it again, and there were some bubbles, I finally saw some fuel at the injectors. Thank you both for your great information. I really appreciate your time.
Rob