PDA

View Full Version : Was a block heater an option in 1999?

TurboDiverArt
11-26-2003, 17:50
Hi All,

I just purchased a 1999 Sub with a 6.5TD. I asked the seller if it had a block heater and he said no as there was no cord to be found in the grill area. Since it was a southern truck there was probably no need to one. Was this an optional or standard part in the 1999 year? I'm in NJ and although not as cold as some parts of the county winter months can easily drop into the teens at night.

I assume if the truck doesn't have one I should install one, right? I was looking at the Kennedy Diesel web site and they sell one that attaches to the bottom of the oil pan and works by warming the oil and pan from the bottom up. Price is right. They have 2 models, I assume I would probably only need the smaller unit.

Any suggestions?

turbovair
11-26-2003, 19:57
Wow,
Here I am in Phoenix WITH a block heater. I always thought they were standard equipment. Perhaps the engine was replaced and the heater was never reinstalled?

Jim H.
11-26-2003, 20:31
I've never used the block heater either although it is not as warm here as it is in Phoenix. The cord is coiled up in the engine compartment with the original tie.

Barry Nave
11-27-2003, 00:45
Look real hard around the drivers side motor mount.Heater may have never needed to be used so the cord is still tieded off.

TurboDiverArt
11-27-2003, 06:34
OK, I'll do that when the truck arrives. Does anyone know if they were standard equipment in 1999?

Thanks for the help!

jeffreydmet
11-27-2003, 10:12
Mine has one. I didn't think it did at first but it is very hard to find.

Scooby
11-27-2003, 14:09
My truck has lived in Florida all its life. The engine heater is wrapped up just above the steering gearbox. It has never had the tie wrap cut on it. I believe the block heater is standard on all years- GM doesnt know where the truck will end up.

C.K. Piquup
11-27-2003, 19:16
Yes,all diesels are equipped w/block heaters.I live in Maryland and only use it when temps go extreme,like low teens/single digits.

cruzer
11-28-2003, 09:17
I thought I read somewhere there's a heater in the block and one under the fuel filter housing.When it's plugged in it heats both. If that's the case I would think it would be std. My heater cord is still tie wrapped on the frame near the steering box. I gain access to thru left frt wheel opening.

POINTERMAN
11-28-2003, 10:54
I think they all came with one . They were installed in place of a freeze plug . Mine blew out on the way to work one day . Replaced with standard freeze plug. Don't need in So Cal.