PDA

View Full Version : Injectors???

jjp
10-05-2006, 22:03
Got a question..........

I have a 1998 ..6.5 N.A. diesel in a 1984 chev....Noticed the I.P. label....that has D.B 2 4723....this is a 6.2 pump......I have been under the impression that the injectors should match the pump...can't see numbers on injectors....short of removing one....i am asuming they are 6.2......

The truck originally had 6.2,......6.5 was a replacement engine.....and i suspect that all 6.2 intake , exhaust manifolds pump and injectors etc....were swapped to the 6.5 block........Anyone know if this was a common procedure?.........

Should injectors match the pump????? or can 6.5 injectors be used while using a 6.2 pump,.... without any performance problems such as economy and power... .....The injectors have about 100,000 miles.......and I wanted to re-order some .....without having to remove them yet.....

If the pump is for a 6.2 I am thinking that I should re-order 6.2 injectors........Am i thinking correct ?????......Any comments are appreciated........thanks

john8662
10-06-2006, 06:25
It's common practice to treat the 6.5L replacement engine just as it were a 6.2 replacement engine. The engine came as a longblock and everything from the dead 6.2 was swapped onto the 6.5 engine, they are capable replacements for the 6.2 (everything bolts right on).

The injection pump should be for a 6.2 which matches the truck it's in.

The injectors are likely long-body 6.2 injectors, so you can purchase replacement 6.2 injectors.

J

jjp
10-06-2006, 09:06
Thanks for your info....

Regarding the 6.2 "long" fuel injectors......How do you identify?........LONG TYPE.....Does the longer part thread into the head ? or is exposed portion on outside longer?....

As I have read.... the early 6.2 injectors were "course" threads.....Do you know which year heads used the "course" thread?........ this 1998 as a long block surely had the heads that would use a fine thread injector.....

Are the "long injectors available in fine thread?..........The injectors i have located online are at a company called "Diesel Injection Service"...........They Have re-built injectors ....with "new" nozzles.......

The listings are 6.2-late....87-90...........or 6.2-early....82-87.....or
................6.2...1991 up and 6.5.........What year do recommend to be the one to work as my replacement?....thanks ..........again for info.........

john8662
10-06-2006, 14:44
Only 82 6.2's used the coarse thread injectors, so that puts you on the safe side.

The 6.5 will always have the fine thread injectors.

Somewhere around here Casey (arveetek) posted an image of the different injectors side-by-side, coarse (always long body), longbody, and shortbody (6.2 or 6.5, look the same).

You most likely need the long-body 6.2 fine thread injectors. The 82-87 Early (long-fine).

I've dealt with Diesel Injection Service, they're good!

The supporting vendors here also have them and can get them, if you've already dealt with any one of them.

The long vs. short is in the total length of the injector that sticks out of the head, the body is longer. The part that threads into the cylinder head is identical.

The short body injectors were used in 6.2's in van applications and in later model 6.2's probably due to changes that would take place with the 6.5, which always used the short body injectors in it's original application (92+ model trucks).

J

arveetek
10-07-2006, 07:14
A pic of the three different styles of injectors:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1311232336029465272BmZjfR

Casey

dragonriot
10-10-2006, 13:33
Are the "long injectors available in fine thread?..........The injectors i have located online are at a company called "Diesel Injection Service"...........They Have re-built injectors ....with "new" nozzles.......

I don't know how many "Diesel Injection Service" locations there are, but there is one about a half hour from here, and they do awesome work... we sent all of our trucks there for service when I worked at a towing/repair shop. In fact, I'm taking my own truck there in the next few weeks to get some estimates for a bit of upgrading... injectors, IP, accelerator pedal sensor, etc...

GMC 2500
10-12-2006, 16:27
Take a look and identify the Injectors

http://www.v8dieseltech.net/pump/images/Topp_dyser.jpg