PDA

View Full Version : Injectors?

cndnls
10-05-2006, 09:41
I have an 02' D/A LB7 with the banks six gun and speed loader K&N fipk filter and a badly installed 5" exh(from who i bought the truck sounds great though).My question is at an idle there is black smoke coming from the tail pipe,while driving there was a lack of power (but I changed the fuel filter and the power came back up it had only been in for about 5,000 miles,cut it open and it was black) if i rev the engine at idle the smoke goe away but then comes back after the engine settles. This morning there was no smoke si I thought the filter fixed that problem also, until the truck warmed up then there it was. Any help would be apprieciated THANKS!

SoTxPollock
10-05-2006, 10:15
Possibly your exhause may be all sooted up and smoking as that begins to burn out after heating up. If it's not gone in a couple of days. Then its something else.

Mark Rinker
10-05-2006, 18:56
It took a few months for my smoking LB7 to be bad enough for concern, but if it is an injector, watch your oil level for dillution. If you used to add a quart between changes, and you aren't now - same thing.

When it really starts to smoke, you'll know. Like you won't want to leave the passenger window down, and people in low cars will flip you off at traffic lights.

Kennedy
10-06-2006, 06:19
I wouldn't drive it. If you have an injector hanging (which it sounds like) you can erode a piston pretty easily as well as wash cylinder, dilute oil etc...

cndnls
10-06-2006, 14:04
It's parked until thurs. thats when the dealer can look at it!! also should I remove any of the addons I have on it? (i.e. six gun speedloader or wastegate actuator)

KrazyNate
10-06-2006, 14:08
Question about the injector issue. I just recently purchased an 02 Duramax/Allison with approx 40,000 miles. I put my first full tank of diesel in today and had a couple surprises. First, I was only able to fit 22 gallons in.. Thought surely they would have bigger fuel tanks, no biggie, I should have about 400 miles or so to a tank.. I thought wrong, I went 289... :eek: 13.18 MPG.. Also, Ive noticed that it takes a bit longer to fire up on starting compared to other Dmax trucks Ive ridden in. Lastly, checked my oil this AM and noticed Im a bit over full and reeks of diesel. Ive had this truck one week today and am appauled that I may have it in the shop already.

Are these things indicative of the notorious injector problems?? Im new to the forum and new to diesels, help and advise is appreciated.

cndnls
10-06-2006, 14:44
I believe the owners manual says the tank is 27gals. as to the rest what i have read here is unfortunately quite possibly yes?

KrazyNate
10-06-2006, 15:14
Sounds about right, I was just under a quarter tank. From my research today, Im afraid I have injector issues.. :(

cndnls
10-08-2006, 17:03
Found out saturday that my truck (previously owned) was in twice for the injector warranty once at 102,000 then at 104,000 now I have 184,000. I think maybe the same old problem every 80 to 100k they go bad looks like 80k
is my magic #....and a good pre filter also is in the cards!!!!!!

Kennedy
10-09-2006, 07:33
Filtration and additization! While them may not be a complete cure, they are the best measures available help to prevent injector issues.

KrazyNate
10-12-2006, 09:56
Got my wheels back yesterday.. Had all 8 injectors replaced, two days down.. No biggie. Ive driven about 100 miles since the repair and I am now happier than ever that I bought this baby... Seems to run cleaner, start easier and MPG is vastly improved... If you're getting low MPG, have your truck checked. I hardly noticed a running issue, if any at all. But MPG was horrible, oil way over full... Get em checked....:rolleyes: