PDA

View Full Version : Urban Gorilla

Craig M
10-05-2006, 07:20
Robyn has posted us about her H1 replica project. There is a low mileage completed Urban Gorilla listed for sale on Ebay in Arizona (item #150041484883). This one has two sins associated with it; One its on a Ford chassis, and Two it has a gas engine (390 Ford V-8). Robyn is using a GM chassis and 6.2 diesel as is appropriate. The finished photos of this H1 look reasonbly close the real thing. The front pumpkin is kinda a giveaway that it is not an independent front suspension vehicle though. Pricing is up to $14,000 and sale not over yet.

Robyn
10-05-2006, 07:56
The one nice thing about the Badlands kits as well as the Gorilla is that as long as you use a chassis with 129-131 inch wheel base you can make it work.
I have seen these kits on Chevy/GMC Ford and Mopar chassis.
Even though the manufactures design the kits to fit the GM stuff a torch, welder and some imagination will put it on just about anything.
I looked at the add on Ebay, seems funny that someone would be letting that thing go that cheap. With the kit cost at around 17K and all the other work complete this rig should bring in the high 30K area if not more.
Turn key units from several companies sell for around 40 depending on what equipment they have on them.

Robyn

Craig M
10-05-2006, 17:10
They said they had $30,000 total into it, and I can believe that. Weather it is worth $30,000 to someone else? A used H-1 can be had in the $30-$40 range, so is a kit replica worth as much as a used real thing?

DmaxMaverick
10-05-2006, 19:30
The Hummer kits are NOT Hummers. They are trucks that look like Hummers. A functional used H1 is worth more than a conversion. Which one you need (want) depends on what you want it for, and how deep your pockets are.

You will never recover restore/build costs on vehicles. That doesn't take into account the labor, either. Always been that way.