PDA

View Full Version : replaced IP and inectors, now a significant knock

DLang
10-03-2006, 22:54
I finally got the new IP and injectors in the truck. I set the timeing by just aligning the marks.

it idles fine, but when I give it more throttle it develops a knock/clanking sound. the chase vehicle reports a fairly significant amount of smoke (white).

is this just timeing? (I'm planning to take it into a shop tomorrow for that), or is this something more significant (like a bad injector)

AndyL
10-04-2006, 04:13
Get an injector line crossed? Check the firing order.

DLang
10-04-2006, 17:00
I left the injector lines in pairs and they really only wanted to go on one way.

I did find that I slipped while tightening down the IP and it was off by 20 degrees

however it still has a knock and smoke from the right tailpipe (I may have missed a glow plug wire, I'm letting the engine cool a bit, then I'll check things again)

john8662
10-04-2006, 21:30
Great advice above (I usually forget this scenario).

Check the lines and trace them to cylinders.

You're right though, once you pull them in pairs and they have all their boots on them, they are pretty hard to mix up, I've never done it. But I have double checked my own work just in case after something wasn't right.

Recheck the glowplugs, make sure they're all tight, same goes for the injectors themselves.

It's possible you got a bad injector, since you KNOW what's been changed.

Anything leaking fuel?

J

DLang
10-05-2006, 17:36
it turned out to be the injector on #2 (both the first one I checked and one of the easiest to replace)

john8662
10-05-2006, 21:53
it turned out to be the injector on #2 (both the first one I checked and one of the easiest to replace)

Cool! Figured it was something simple :cool: