PDA

View Full Version : Boost control on a 1993

stingthieves
10-02-2006, 07:06
My son asked me for pointers on a 1993 6.5 dually he found in Alaska. (Low miles - only 60K) I told him it would be a good fault tolerant unit with the DS2 mechanical pump. I am having stepper motor issues today on my 95! He asked about boost control and since this year didn't have a belt driven Vac Pump I ASSUMED it was mechanical but he tells me there is a Vac canister attached to the waste gate. Hummmmm
So where it the Vac source on a 93?
I searched and it appears boost is a weakness in the 93 so a mechanical controller from JK is in order???? or ???
Kind Regards
Rick

john8662
10-02-2006, 07:33
The '93 is mechanical in nature. The canister on the turbo isn't connected to a vacuum source, although it looks similar to what's on your '95. It's only got a spring that controlls the wastegate.

I'd replace it with a turbomaster anyways, because the factory actuator is set for 6psi. But this can only be done after gauges.

J

stingthieves
10-02-2006, 07:53
Thanks John, Yes Gauges First. We had planned that. Mine has a pillar pod that I bought on EBAY from a nice guy someplace in TX but I lost his address. It came already painted to match my interior and every wire was tagged as to its placement into the truck harness as he had done a Beautiful job of prewiring the pod. But we are attempting to do this one cheep just to get him back to Wisconsin do I thought I might only do boost and EGT - but then towing - suppose Trans temp is necessary. Will it need an OPS relay upgrade like mine did?

john8662
10-02-2006, 09:17
In a big truck that pulls, it get's all three lighted pointers...

The '93 falls victim to the same OPS failure, so the relay upgrade would be a great addition to make sure the injection pump is getting it's fuel. It will stall like the electronic engines do when the OPS fails, that and hard starting.

J

stingthieves
10-03-2006, 11:41
Thanks again for all your kind help John
You have been a great unselfish mentor
BUT
it looks like my subscription is up
Time to go and seek my fortune at the place!

john8662
10-03-2006, 13:59
Thanks again for all your kind help John
You have been a great unselfish mentor
BUT
it looks like my subscription is up
Time to go and seek my fortune at the place!

Remember, the Place has no articles every month, we're more than a forum.

You're welcome for the advice!

J