PDA

View Full Version : IP swap

84 Convert
09-30-2006, 20:56
After driving my K2500 I realized something was amiss with the power output of the K30. While I had the truck apart for the valve spring issue, I had pulled the top cover off the IP and discovered metal flakes inside. I also noticed excessive white smoke at idle. My suspicion was the IP being bad, so being that the only known good pump out of the four I have was the -4911, in it went. All I can say is WOW!!

The smoke at idle is GONE, cruise EGT's are down (450 vs 600+ at 60mph), power musta doubled. I now cannot use more than 1/2 throttle without massive black smoke at low rpms. Now I just have to find time and money to complete the turbo setup.

Gregg

john8662
10-02-2006, 07:39
Cool!

Glad it worked, now you HAVE to get that turbo installed :p

Hope the fuel economy doesn't slide too much.

Some of these old DB2's aren't up to the task are they?

J

84 Convert
10-02-2006, 17:59
Yeah, i have to watch either the exhaust or the pyro. I've found that if I'm not blowin' smoke, I won't go too hot very fast. I figure if I stay out of it enough it doesn't smoke I should get OK mileage.

And yes the turbo fever has got me now. I've even thought of running in the power pull next year just to see what a penny pincher can do... I'll have less than $700 in the system including the I/C.

Gregg

john8662
10-02-2006, 21:32
That would be cool if you ran the hill!

Haven't seen a single 6.2 run that pull yet, be the first!