PDA

View Full Version : 95 6.5L been sitting for 2 yrs

95blk2500
09-27-2006, 19:20
i am about to buy a 95 model that was accidently run out of fuel i think, and it has been sitting for the last 2 yrs. what all will i need to take with me? do i need to get a new fuel pump and filter? anything else i might need to be looking for? the person who owns it said that it looked like it had been leaking diesel on the ground, so she was going to drive it over by her barn and it quit running when she was driving it up a hill. so i just figured it ran out of fuel. any ideas?

Robyn
09-28-2006, 07:34
5 gallons of fresh fuel
fuel filter
small tools
Replace the filter and then open the air bleed on the top of the filter housing and bleed out the air.
The best way is to jumper the fuel pump relay and get the air out of the filter.
Then open the water drain up on the front drivers side of the engine and bleed out any left over air from that point.
Give it a go and it should run.
If its been leaking diesel you need to find out where it is coming from and fix that issue first.
Good luck
keep us posted
Robyn

moondoggie
09-28-2006, 09:38
Good Day!

Boy, are you blessed. It's REAL easy to prime the fuel lines on this truck; too bad this only works on 95's (I asked some time ago, it really only works on 95's).

Crack the fuel filter nut (black plastic round thingy on top of the fuel filter housing) a little. Connect a piece of tubing to the port on the top of this nut; drop this in a container.
Set the parking brake or block the wheels. (Maybe better to not use the parking brake on a vehicle you don't know - maybe it never releases, eh? ;))
Put the tranny in any gear EXCEPT park or neutral.
Turn the key to the crank position - the LP will run, but the engine will NOT crank.
Wait for a solid stream of fuel to be pumped out of your piece of tubing.

Blessings!

JohnC
09-28-2006, 13:58
Before doing anything else, I'd try to pump from the tank to the water drain on the old filter. You never know what you might get, and it may be something you don't want to mix with your fresh fuel and new filter....