PDA

View Full Version : Should I Replace Timing Set When Installing Injector Pump?

Shaun091382
01-06-2004, 13:18
Hi, just wondering what the consensus is on changing the timing chain/set when installing a rebuilt injector pump? i am planning on purchasing a rebuilt mechanical injection pump and replacing timing set if needed with another chain setup i realize gear drive is the way to go but with 210,000 miles and a budget i would think chain would be fine for now till a rebuild ...my current timing set is still original any thoughts?

britannic
01-06-2004, 14:45
At 210K you'll be glad you changed the chain at the same as the pump=maximum benefit :D !!

Shaun091382
01-06-2004, 14:58
Britannic is it ok to do these separately or can they be done soon within each other..i plan on getting the injector pump done by a fuel injection shop but they dont do timing so i would have to go somewhere later for the timing chain

britannic
01-06-2004, 18:06
They can certainly be done separately - that was how I did it.

Shaun091382
01-07-2004, 09:29
Ive read somewhere that with this type of mileage in addition to changing the timing chain I should also look into changing the harmonic balancerand and the crankshaft pulley? is this true? what are the costs associated with the parts and having them installed during the timing chain

Marty Lau
01-07-2004, 09:43
I am going through a bunch of item on my truck and timing set is one. I went the chain route and replace both the crank and camshaft gears. The whole set was $136 at the local CarQuest parts store. I also chose the chain route as truck has 155,000 miles. I am replacing water pump, fan clutch and fan and had raditor serviced as long as I got it all tore down.
At 210,000 miles I would think your chain is pretty sloppy as mine was. I would try and do several replacements at once since you have to remove so much stuff to get at timing chain and gears.

Shaun091382
01-07-2004, 10:57
Thanks for the information..my rad should probably be serviced but it can wait for a bit longer..my fan is fine and has no play in it when i try to spin it so im sure the clutch still good too water pump was replaces already within the year..when i replace my timing chain am I supposed to reaplace the timing gear set as well? or no? i dont want to spend more then needed thanks also does anyone know where in Ontario Canada to get a good deal on a harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley besides going to the dealer? i can't seem to find anyone who carries any, part #'s are always welcomed smile.gif

Shaun

[ 01-07-2004, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Shaun091382 ]

cruzer
01-07-2004, 12:00
You should repace the chain and both gears.

Shaun091382
01-07-2004, 19:24
Anyone know where in Ontario Canada asides from the dealerships where i may get the best deal on a harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley for my '93 Chev 6.5TD? when doing the timing chain do i need to purchase any gaskets? a gasket kit or just individual ones?, part #'s would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Shaun

[ 01-07-2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Shaun091382 ]

Marty Lau
01-08-2004, 09:15
Shaun;

Ok you have to understand these trucks don't last forever but will go 300,000 miles plus with maintaince.
To do the timing chain and gears you have to remove raditor, fan & clutch and water pump and timing cover. Either you have to do the work or pay to have it done. Soooooooo if your smart you replace it all so you don't have to redo it in a year or a few months.

My 95 has 156,000 miles with very few problems. It had the Factory hoses, injectors, glow plugs, fan & clutch, water pump, timing gears aand chain.
So I said self lets do the whole thing so I won't get stranded, or have to redo the labor 2 or 3 times. yup it cost money but for a couple thousand bucks I figure is whole lot cheaper than a New Durabux truck. The Fan and Clutch are not that hard to do later if needed and you may not need it if you don't tow. I would at least change timing set and waterpump and since the raditor is out have it seviced at a raditor shop. Also clean and blow out the oil cooler and transmission cooler.

[ 01-08-2004, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: 16ga SxS ]

Shaun091382
01-08-2004, 09:44
Thanks for you input 16gaSxS i do realize that these trucks do not last forever and i do feel lucky my truck has lasted as long as it has im just stuck in between choices..i could do all this maintenance to my engine now for like you said a few thousand (timing,rad,fan/clutch and fuel system) which would keep me going strong for the rest of the life of the truck..however i also think to myself those few thousands could be a downpayment on a reman engine including fuel system so i am unsure whether to just drive my truck the way it is..there is no current problems and just save my money for the reman later on?? decisions decisions decisions :(

damork
01-08-2004, 10:40
I put the gears in and updated cooling system on my 95 last summer.

The glow plugs and injectors have over 100,000 miles on them and I am at 178,000 miles now. I just put new batteries in a month ago, and am running 5W-40 Rotella synthetic.

I just started it twice in the last week at temps of