PDA

View Full Version : Installing used Longblock, What are the have to's?

dieselrealtor
09-22-2006, 04:57
I found a used engine less intake & accessories, only around 12-15k miles. (unless I find a better deal in next couple of days)
I would like to tap into the infinite wisdom of the DP members here. With the re-assembly I am curious about what needs to be replaced from my old one (victim of high EGTs). The turbo seems to spin free (checking by hand), no play & no visible cracks. If I find a low mileage stock turbo (relatively cheap) before it goes back together it will be replaced just as a precaution.

what are the;

1. Have to's?
2. Should do's?
3. In a perfect world would be nice to's?

Thanks to all in advance.

Mark Rinker
09-23-2006, 09:55
Interesting project. You won't find lots of experience with DMax swaps in comparison to the 6.5s, but always lots of opinions :)

1) Turbo should go (seals probably roasted from EGTs)
2) Cat should go (fused beads)
3) Starter should go (baked by downtube - will eventually fail)
4) Intake, intercooler, radiator, waterpump, alternator, power steering pump should all be fine
5) What about injectors? Since you have no warranty, I'd replace with 8 new NOW while the motor is going in. Never easier and eliminates a variable once the new engine is in.
6) Your passenger side battery, if stock, is probably fried as well. New set of Optima red-tops should be on order.
7) Get JK's latest and greatest switchable tow/performance tune for the LB7.

dieselrealtor
09-26-2006, 17:25
always lots of opinions :)

Mark, I really thought you would be right.

Fuel rails?
fuel lines?
kanuter valve? (pronounced canooter)
anything?
?
??
???

Mark Rinker
09-27-2006, 14:10
Check out Ebay seller 'grfmotorsports'. He has some good fuel related take-off parts for LB7s.