PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler lines

Ebrown
09-21-2006, 14:03
Question 1
What side of the Radiator of a 1986 K-5 with a 700r4 trans with a 6.2 go to Driver or passenger side?

Mine is located on the driver side
-I ordered a new radiator and they are also on the drivers side!
-The trans line look to be almost hand bent run under the front part of the trans and under the engine then up to the Radiator to the drivers side!
-Is this correct or do I have the wrong radiator?

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2006, 14:06
Your radiator was/is correct. The passenger side contains the engine oil cooler.

Don't know about your lines. The should appear deliberately bent to follow a specific conture, and be secured with several clamps along the way. They do cross the engine near the bell housing, but it should be very neat and secured.

Robyn
09-21-2006, 16:20
Seems if memory serves me that the engine oil cooler hooked to a pair of aluminum tubes tha ran in front of the fan across to the passenger side and then into the tank

doncannon
09-21-2006, 18:02
hello all,

Ebrown: I agree with Dmax and robyn!! They are both correct. I dont know why GM crisscrossed them but they did. Just as they said trans on dr side and oil cooler on pass. side. Maybe more lines give more cooling...hmm just a thought.

just my 2 cents,
Don

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2006, 18:45
The reason for "which cooler goes to which side?" is simple. Tempurature. The driver's side is the "hot" side, and the passenger side is the "cold" side. Coolant enters the radiator on the driver's side, from the engine, passes across the core, then to the passenger side before it gets returned to the water pump. GM made the decision to focus max cooling on the engine oil. And....the oil lines that pass across the radiator will help with cooling, but I don't know if they planned it that way, or it was just convenient.

Ebrown
09-22-2006, 13:33
Then I'm thinking that sometime ago someone had bent there own trans line to be cheep! The trans line are hanging off the trans ports and are tie raped up. There aren't grouped together. But the engine cooler line run from the engine to behind the radiator from the drivers side and switch from rubber to hard line and cross behind the radiator to the passenger side and make a loop back to the engine! My new radiator has no ports for a oil cooler on the passenger or drive side.

doncannon
09-23-2006, 18:16
hello all,

Ebrown: Maybe you could have the place where you got your rad from double check the part number. My 87 had both trans and oil coolers as described above. Also I dont think GM would have had rubber in the middle they are metal lines. Why year was your truck?

hope this helps,
Don