PDA

View Full Version : No IP lights & No start!

captainvector
04-15-2004, 12:19
Hey guys - need some help here. My 96 C2500 quit cold the other day, got it towed home. When I turn the key, the ONLY warning light that comes on is the Seatbelt light. The engine will crank, but won't start. After a few seconds cranking, the oil pressure gage will come up, but still no start. I haven't had time to do much more than recharge the batteries. Ideas?

Thanks!
Rich

1996 C2500HD X/C "F" 5-speed, no major mods

ucdavis
04-15-2004, 12:42
Sounds like the switch in steering column below where you put the key in. No SES, Glow... means the ECM isn't getting signal, so you probably don't have any signal to IP either (probably are not hearing that familiar "click" from under the hood when the FSO kicks open?). No signal to the IP, no fuel, no go.
If it is not the switch, it is likely some other conection that powers the ECM or gives it ground.

captainvector
04-16-2004, 07:00
Ooops - I just realized that I used "IP" to mean instrument panel, whereas everyone normally uses that as injector pump. Sorry for the confusion! Regarding the previous reply, on the '96 trucks, is the ignition switch in the column? I haven't looked for it yet, but I know on earlier trucks (i.e. '91, '88) the switch is actually down under the dash at the base of the steering column.

gerickson
04-19-2004, 09:47
I had exactly the same failure last November on my 96 K3500 GMC. It came on fast, (something like one week from intermitant-to-complete failure)

During failure, when key turned to on, my instroment pannel would display no idiot lights at all, (glow plug wait-to-start, ABS, seatbelt, emergancy brake, all idiot lights). What did work was the instrument guages, interior lights, radio, and the starter motor. But engine would not fire up. In the end I replaced the ignition switch (which is mounted on the key tumbler/column lock assembly) On the 96 the ignition switch as a black box with a wiring harness extenting out of it. The harness has a connector on the end of it where it joins combines with two other connectors under the dash board and they then plug into a large single connector. I believe MSRP was nearly $200 and I got mine after a steep discount for around $120. The job was straight forword but if your not a wrench, I'd hand it to a pro.
Good luck.