PDA

View Full Version : Mirror shaking

upsguy
09-20-2006, 18:53
I've had this truck for almost a month now and I've got the tow mirrors. The other day going down the highway I noticed the passenger side mirror shaking. It hasn't always done this, it's just developed in the last week or so. Is this a common problem for these mirrors? Would the dealer replace it?

cowboywildbill
09-21-2006, 04:54
Our 06 factory tow mirrors glass shook at Highway speeds also. I put on a pair of Shefenakers and the passenger side one shakes just a little at highway speeds but not always and not bad enough to really notice that much. I think the shake is is worse on mirrors the less areodynamic they are in design. Some mirrors have damper springs behind the glass, and I have read that they can be loose or missing and let them shake more. I don't know if the factory ones have dampers. But I agree I would go back to the dealer and have them replaced or repaired. If they argue about it, tell them it is a safety issue and could cause an accident, sometimes that gets a little more action.

cowboywildbill
09-21-2006, 17:29
After I read and responded to the post I had to tow our fiver to setup for a rodeo this weekend. Have to make two trips, one to stay in and then take goosenck Horse trailer up later with horses. Any way I noticed that my glass does not shake in the mirrors, but the whole mirror assembly shakes just a little right from the door outward. The farther out from the door the more you notice it is moving, kinda makes sense like shaking a stick it doesn't move much at your hand but sure travels farther at the other end.
What I was thinking is did you have the mirrors in the same position everytime or did you slide them in and out at different times? It may be that they didn't shake enough to notice when they are in, but do shake when they are out. Wind and road vibration would be worse on them when extended. Anybody else noticed that ? Just a thought.

harry320
09-21-2006, 18:59
I also have an 06 with the tow mirrors and replaced the right side three times and it still shakes. I belive it's a poor design!
Harry

upsguy
09-21-2006, 19:04
My mirror is shaking without being extended. I also tried moving mirror around at different angles with the power knob and they still shook.

cowboywildbill
09-22-2006, 04:25
Can you tell if it is the glass or the whole assembly shaking? You might try putting a couple of pieces of masking tape around the outside housing to the edge of the glass and see if it is the glass assembly shaking inside or the housing somewhere from the door out that is shaking and is transfering to the glass. I'm just curious if it is a poor design or weak system that holds the glass and pan mechanism in place or just the whole thing. I was used to mirrors shaking on some of the harleys I rode, but we shouldn't have to put up with it on something as expen$ive as these mirrors are.

upsguy
09-22-2006, 17:28
I think it's just the glass shaking. Since I'm usually the only on driving it, I thought about adjusting it the way I want it and then wedging some foam rubber around the edges and see if that stops it. But, like you said cowboywildbill, they cost too much to shake at all, so I think I'll try to make the dealer fix it.