PDA

View Full Version : Picture/schematic engine references

Mr. Bone
09-19-2006, 21:16
Hello all,

Looking for engine picture references on my 86 G30 cube van w/6.2L(non-turbo), 3spd.

Just so you know I've paid my dues. . .I found a vintage Clymer repair manual, and purchased the Diesel Page troubleshooting guide. Neither has much in the way of ID-ing the parts and/or locations of parts on my van. I tried HELM MANUALS' web-site and i'm not having luck for my vehicle. Otherwise, I simply need a GOOD MECHANIC who can "show me the ropes". I live in New Orleans(i guess you could call what we do here since the storm "living") and anything bordering professional or quality is VERY hard to find. Anybody got any friends within a 100 mile radius for an hour tutorial???

thanks for you time!

Lightyear
09-22-2006, 06:25
Hey Mr Bone - I bought the Suburban set of books from Helm, but to do so I had to dig deeper into their menu to find the right manuals. They don't list our rigs as logically as you would expect. If you need some specific diagrams or schematics, let me know. I'll scan and email to you next week after I get back from drill weekend.

Mr. Bone
09-22-2006, 21:07
Hello Lightyear,

thanks for the response. I am amazed that you are the only person that has had any ideas for me regarding this vehicle. Its almost as if I'm not a 2nd generation GM mechanic who just "knows" where everything is and what to do I'm SOL.

I looked all around Helm site again and came up with nothing. I will be greatful for any layouts you can give me regarding the fuel sys. . .fuel pump, injector pump, fuel filter change specs., is there more than one fuel filter? Navigating around the limited space of van design makes things extra challenging.

thanks again

Lightyear
09-23-2006, 18:33
Mr Bone - I'll check my Helm pubs so I can scan and send you all I can find. Do you need schematics, too, or just diagrams of the hard parts? Let me know. Again, I'm at drill this weekend, but will get on this for you on Monday. Cheers,

Lightyear
09-27-2006, 05:59
Hey Mr Bone - I've got my Helm service book here, which diagrams were you looking for? It does cover the R/V Suburbans, the P-series trucks, and the G-series vans. I'll try to track down the order number in case you still wnat to get one from Helm. You can reach me at: rseilius@yahoo.com with your specific needs.
Cheers,

john8662
09-27-2006, 07:36
The vans are often neglected aren't they?

Check on ebay from time to time to get ahold of a factory service manual for that Gvan. You'll likely find that even a newer manual for the Gvan (up to about 91 at least) will be the almost same for your van, they didn't change much. Some things did, but they're basically documented concerning the engine.

So whatcha looking for on the engine, we can help ya find and ID it (typing of course). I've had some good times wrenching on an '83 Gvan with the six point two.

J

Mr. Bone
09-27-2006, 10:58
thanks for the replies. Unrelated to fuel sys. . .the instrument panel on my van lacks a glow plug light, a tach, a H2O temp guage, battery voltage. There are 2 blank 1 1/2" disc shapes that seem to be meant for guages although i could be mistaken. I have to fix my A/C and heater. control panel too and need to know the layout of that sys. Any suggestions on a good salvage yard for parts?

thank you.

john8662
09-27-2006, 12:12
thanks for the replies. Unrelated to fuel sys. . .the instrument panel on my van lacks a glow plug light, a tach, a H2O temp guage, battery voltage. There are 2 blank 1 1/2" disc shapes that seem to be meant for guages although i could be mistaken. I have to fix my A/C and heater. control panel too and need to know the layout of that sys. Any suggestions on a good salvage yard for parts?

thank you.

The glow plug light is located near the "dog house" and will be a 1" by 2.5" display containing both glowplug and water in fuel lights. This is standard on all factory 6.2 equipped vans.

Does your instrument panel lack the gauges you mention or are they non-functional? You can replace the whole cluster to get the gauges if all you have is warning lights. But! You'll need to replace the switchces with senders on the engine, like the coolant temp and oil psi for example.

What's wrong with the A/C and heater? If the controls simply don't work (switch from floor to vent, etc.) then it means you lack vacuum, probably a broken vacuum line or a failed vacuum pump on the engine.

A good salvage yard (online) will be car-part.com. I have located salvage yards with what I needed online.

More Power
09-27-2006, 13:11
I hate being a wet blanket, but scanning copyrighted documents, then sharing copies with someone else (even without monetary gain) is in violation of the rights of the copyright holder.

In 2001, GM/Helm offered their service manuals on CD. They no longer do. Apparently, they were losing control of their works, due in large part to the ease at which digital information moves around the Internet.

Jim

Lightyear
09-28-2006, 05:06
Jim, you're not a wet blanket, but rather a voice of reason. Someone has to be the adult leadership in this pack of delinquents!

Mr. Bone
10-08-2006, 08:30
item #120037984717 - 1991 Chevy express G Van Shop Service Manual

Will you please take a moment to check out this manual on Ebay?
Do you think this manual will be sufficient for my needs. I wrote the sender and it does cover the 6.2L.

Thanks for your time,