PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem? Air in Line?

goldbergpaul
09-14-2006, 20:30
Hi, new to the thread. I've got a 95 suburban with the 6.5TD 205000 miles on it. I just finished putting on the 97 coolant conversion and went to crank it up. Wouldn't crank and had a big fuel leak. Found the leak (must have tugged on a line too hard at some point) and changed the fuel filter while I was there, the old one was NASTY. Anyway, finally got the fuel primed back up and now it is real hard to start. Finally got it started and it runs Really rough, have to keep the gas pressed to keep it on. After a minute or two it's like a switch is flipped and the check engine light comes on and it starts running real smooth. Problem is it won't keep running. It will run for awhile and then cuts out like I turned it off. Sometimes runs longer than others. Then it's hard to start again, 5 to 6 tryies if not more. Will run smooth sounding as long as the engine light is on. Still have a tiny leak somewhere. I haven't had this truck long so don't know all the history. Supposedly the Engine was rebuilt recently. Have had prob before with it stuttering up hill when first cranked but nothing like this. Don't know what to do. Have already put a bunch of money into it and don't reall want to take it to a shop. Please help!

kevin77
09-15-2006, 02:42
I would start by going over the checklist in this article http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm - It'll give you a starting point of what you should be checking.

Kevin

goldbergpaul
09-15-2006, 08:58
Can't seem to get to that page. Not taking username and pass. Thanks though.:confused:

Shikaroka
09-15-2006, 09:03
I had similar problems with my Burb. I think I had an injector nozzle leaking air, but I'm not sure. I replaced all 8 injectors, since I didn't know their history. Now it starts and runs great.

goldbergpaul
09-15-2006, 12:31
Will it run at all if the electric fuel pump is bad? Some friends have suggested this but it would seem like it wouldn't run at all if the pump didn't work. I never hear it whirr when I turn the key. Does it do that on this truck? Hate to spend the $80 bucks if this isn't even a possibility. Any input?

ZZ
09-15-2006, 17:22
If the later models are like the earlier; the fuel pump won't run if the engine isn't running. It gets it's power through a switch on the oil pressure sending unit.

This is a safety feature so it won't pump fuel if involved in an accident and the engines quits.

Bnave95
09-16-2006, 01:42
Seeing that you have a 95,You can place gear select to drive and turn key to start. This will run the lift pump. Open water drain vavle,wing nut top front driver side. Fuel should flow.Can also use a PSI gauge and check for pressure at this spot.
This is a handy way also for priming new filter install.

goldbergpaul
09-17-2006, 11:32
Codes are DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error, DTC 35 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Response Time Short), and DTC 54 PCM fuel circuit error. Not sure where to go with these. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Bnave95
09-18-2006, 02:23
You could get lucky replacing the FSD/PMD Frist, X-finger. It's the code 18 that has me thinking it's time for a new pump. The code 35 is a question that I have lived with for years with my pump though it's still going. If the new FSD/PMD does not work, you'll still need it for a new pump.

JohnC
09-18-2006, 14:59
Check all your connections in and around the pump. Something must have gotten pulled loose during the cooling system work.

goldbergpaul
09-18-2006, 17:07
Replaced the fuel pump today, piece of cake. Found out it can run with the pump being bad. Can't imagine how. Now it starts up better and runs better, though that's not saying alot. No more engine light. Ran it for awhile trying to get the air out of the lines. It still runs rough like there's air in the line but the fuel pump was definetly part of the problem. There is black smoke with the sputtering and smells like diesel. How long does it take to work the air out of the lines? Does this sound like yet another problem or is does it take forever to get the air out? I let it run for about 30-40 minutes and actually drove it around the block a couple of times it stalled some but at least it will start decently now, slow but decent. Thanks.:confused:

Bnave95
09-19-2006, 02:49
Do this so we know that air is not getting into the system. http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23040
It only takes a few sec. for injectors to blead the air from pump,line's.