PDA

View Full Version : 255 85 16 tires

G B Sisson
04-15-2004, 06:22
Hi, I noticed in Kent's signature he runs my favorite tire.What are the wheel adapters he mentions.Can I run these without a lift?Will I be sorry if I screw up my gearing(3.73)? Any experiences out there? Thanks in advance...GB

eracers999
04-15-2004, 06:51
GB;
The wheel adaptors are for a dually application in order to get everything piloted and spaced properly. I dont know if you will rub up front with these or not, shurly there is another burb owner that could answer this. It will depend on where the front bars are set. I have the 4:10 and with these tires i feel that pulling loads in 3rd is better. That being said i feel that pulling heavy in OD is less than optimum because it seems to really like the 75 to 80 mph range. Lighter loads are fine. Any change you make you should use a recalibrater to keep the shift points and speed readings correct. I use one made by autotrans' its called the ReCalibrator'. And for those of you who that have priced them, i bought this one new for 99.00 . Thats about 75.00 cheaper than all the rest. Its an excellent piece.
Good Day
Kent

Dave C
04-15-2004, 07:41
My 265/75 R16's are the biggest I can use without raising the sub. I recalibrated my VSSb (vehicle speed sensor buffer, IIRC), using the the article in the 1999 Feature Articles and Product Reviews Volume: (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back99.htm) . My 99's VSSB was just like the article's but I don't think your 94 will be. Also, you can check out this web site http://614streets.com/drac.html for some additonal info.
Good luck. smile.gif

C.K. Piquup
04-18-2004, 18:56
I`m running 255/85s on my`92 K3500SRW(same ride height as 8 lug 2500).I have the T-bars tweeked-up(since`95/no front-end work,yet).The clear much better than 285/75s.Feels like they roll alot better,too.Nothing is cut,just removed the plastic filler/flare extension behind bumper.

G B Sisson
04-19-2004, 19:47
Tell me about tweeking the torsion bars...How much is a bit.What do I need to do,tighten a bolt?Ive messed around a lot with leaf springs over the years but no t-bars.Should I level it up with a block under the rear leaves? Thanks, GB

john8662
04-20-2004, 11:53
Somewhat related question, I have a friend who has a gasser tahoe and he wants to calibrate his speedo just like we do as in the article on TDP. Anyways, is this procedure the same in a truck that has a gas engine 2wd 5.7L? If so, then I can help him out, if not, maybee its programmed in the computer.

C.K. Piquup
04-20-2004, 17:59
GB,to answer your questions about tweeking the torsion bars.First,pick a point on the truck,like the frame at the tow hooks.Take left/right measurements to establish your baseline.Directly on the back end of the torsion bars is a large hex head.I used an impact gun(easiest),tightening raises.If you can,count the turns.Try gaining an even 2".More than that limits up-travel and most likely require re-alignment.This not only raises ride height,but stiffens down-travel(and ride,some).To me this levels the stance and I did nothing to the rear.Diesels sit lower than gassers in front.If you want,you can either use 2"blocks or add-a-leafs(they`re 2")if that`s the stance you want.

Dave C
04-21-2004, 10:44
Originally posted by john8662:
Somewhat related question, I have a friend who has a gasser tahoe and he wants to calibrate his speedo just like we do as in the article on TDP. Anyways, is this procedure the same in a truck that has a gas engine 2wd 5.7L? If so, then I can help him out, if not, maybee its programmed in the computer. I would say it's the same since the input to the VSSB is from a sensor in the tranny. But that's just an assumption. :rolleyes:

norm
04-21-2004, 16:44
Cranking the TB's might not keep 255/85 tires clear at full compression. On my '98, with 255/85's, I trimmed the plastic bumper trim and just a little bit off the bottom corner of the bumper ('cause I was chicken). Stepping back, you really could not tell it was cut.
On my '95, I am running 265/75R16 E rated tires because you can't get E's in 255/85. They are pretty close in size I think, and look good where most 3/4 and 1 tons of that age still have the 245/75.