PDA

View Full Version : What fuel do you run in the winter?

Big Red Suburban
01-05-2004, 12:59
I feel silly asking this question, but I've heard so many different things lately. This suburban is my first diesel so I'm still learning.

I am currently running #2 from the pump and I always add Power Service Fuel Supplement. I try to follow the recommendations on the bottle (32 oz treats 100 gallons), however with the latest cold spell I increased this amount slightly.

It is currently + 3 degrees out. Tonight is supposed to reach -10 F.

I don't have a garage to park it inside, however it does get plugged in.

What should I be using? Is treated #2 just as good as #1 to prevent gelling?

Thanks...

Gapper_ca
01-05-2004, 13:41
is the fuel supplement a anti-gelling one as well

if i am right the # 2 fuel is winter fuel so that yuo should not have any problem. not sure about it there but up here they start to blend off the summer fuel to winter in late sept-oct. so now all you buy is winter fuel.

Big Red Suburban
01-05-2004, 14:10
It is a Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost, it is listed as an antigel (they claim the most effective in the industry). The website says it prevents gelling down to -40 F.

I believe #1 is the winter blend and #2 is the summer. I think #2 has more lubricating properties and more energy per unit volume than #1.

MTTwister
01-05-2004, 14:33
I think the pump will say if they'er supplying a 'blend'.( usually in grease pencil around here) I noticed that the 50/50 blend was about $.10 more at my last fillup at a truck stop.

However, It was -40 this AM, and with it plugged in - it finally started (one long painful crank, and a few cylinders ticking off at first.)
Needed 4WD to bust the grease loose in the bearings, tho'. smile.gif

Big Red Suburban
01-05-2004, 14:52
So is it better to run a 50/50 blend or #2 with additive? It's seems better to run #2 with the additive. I can get the 32 oz bottle for $4 here which amounts to $0.04 per gallon to treat it.

Does it help to add more additive to the tank, like using the whole 32 oz in one tank of 42 gallons or will it harm something? Or is it really necessary on the really cold days.

catmandoo
01-05-2004, 18:04
no.2 is summer fuel, no.1 winter my station here usually goes 70/30 and i haven't had any problems,but it does not like no.1 very well harder starting.i can tell when they start blending before winter hits.

TurboDiverArt
01-05-2004, 18:31
Originally posted by Big Red Suburban:
So is it better to run a 50/50 blend or #2 with additive? It's seems better to run #2 with the additive. I can get the 32 oz bottle for $4 here which amounts to $0.04 per gallon to treat it.

Does it help to add more additive to the tank, like using the whole 32 oz in one tank of 42 gallons or will it harm something? Or is it really necessary on the really cold days. I'm by no means an expert here, my burb is also my first diesel and I've had it about a month now. I have been doing a lot of reading on this board as well as others. I think what you are going to find out is that the high volume stations in your area will blend to suit the weather. The lower volume stations will have to sell off most of what they have in their tanks to start blending. Stick with the higher volume stations, especially in the winter. Going with the lower volume stations, even if the fuel is cheaper, will most likely have you running summer blend into the colder months and winter blends into the summer months. Diesel #1 has less power, makes more noise and gets worse fuel economy than #2. You are correct as #1 has less lubricating properties, you should put in an additive for both #2 and #1 regardless of weather. I have been told that

Big Red Suburban
01-05-2004, 20:24
I always fill up at the same place which is a large truck stop on I-29. This place is always busy, so I'm sure their fuel doesn't stick around very long. I've always used the #2 pump, I haven't noticed any other markings on it, however I haven't asked either. I bet you are correct that they blend it according to the weather. I am going to ask the next time I'm over there.

I bet this is one reason I saw a drop in fuel mileage about a month ago. Just prior to getting the current cold spell, I noticed my mileage dropped from a consistent ~15.2 to about ~14.0. I wonder if that was when they switched to a blended fuel?

TurboDiverArt
01-06-2004, 03:29
Originally posted by Big Red Suburban:
I bet this is one reason I saw a drop in fuel mileage about a month ago. Just prior to getting the current cold spell, I noticed my mileage dropped from a consistent ~15.2 to about ~14.0. I wonder if that was when they switched to a blended fuel? Post back when you ask. Would be interesting. The truck stop you go to sells #1 in a pump as well #2 in other pump or do all the pumps say #2?

Big Red Suburban
01-06-2004, 07:04
I'm not sure what all the pumps say. They have a whole line of pumps and I have always used the last couple pumps which all say #2 Diesel.

I will be heading over there to get gas for my Jeep on my lunchbreak today and I am going to ask about it. I'll let you know what they say.

catmandoo
01-06-2004, 11:28
ya your milage will suffer,couple reasons 1. you are letting it set and warming up in the mornings and 2 #1 does burn slower.one time and this was 10 years ago on my first 6.2 pick-up.i drive 1000 miles a week and it was in march and it had been in the 4o's and 50's for a week and a half or so and looked like temps were going nowhere but up,anyway went to my station and topped off both tanks for the week,well wed it gets down to -10 degrees,needless to say i made it about 10 miles that day and she just slows down and dies.get towed back.was supposed to get warmer the next day so it sat,went back to the station and asked em and they had switched back to straight #2 about 4 days before figureing it wasn't gonna get cold again,so just watch it here when it starts getting warmer

Big Red Suburban
01-06-2004, 13:06
Well I asked them today and they stated that all of their diesel is straight #2. They don't offer any blended fuel.

South-eastern Nebraska must be too far south to require it I guess!

The only reason I can figure my mileage dropped is due to extended idling time to warm up.

gmenor
01-06-2004, 14:48
TurboDiverArt,
I was ready to ask if winter diesel fuel make your diesel seem louder. I still live in Fayetteville, NC but maintain an apartment in Fredericksburg, VA. I guess they switch the diesel fuel up here. Gee I wish I was still in NC.

GARY PAGE
01-06-2004, 16:45
Citgo from the Pump

TurboDiverArt
01-06-2004, 20:51
Originally posted by gmenor:
TurboDiverArt,
I was ready to ask if winter diesel fuel make your diesel seem louder. I still live in Fayetteville, NC but maintain an apartment in Fredericksburg, VA. I guess they switch the diesel fuel up here. Gee I wish I was still in NC. We'll I'm knew to diesels as well. I've only owned my sub for about a month now. I've got no idea exactly what blend is in my tank at this point, only that it

BuffaloGuy
01-07-2004, 04:11
The best solution I've found is to blend it myself. Down to about -15F I'll do 50/50 #1 and #2. If I think it's gonna get colder I'll go straight #1. I still add additives.

Problem is since I moved to the flatlands (Kansas) hardly anyone carries #1. Last night I asked at 3 fairly big truck stops here on I-70 and none of them had blended fuel or even #1. It was -10F! I guess everyone here must just pour in a bunch of no gel additive.

On another note, if gelling has happened you can double or even triple the no gel dosage and get good results if it's not too far gone. I've got a tractor with a clear fuel sediment bowl that allows me to see if the fuel is gelling pretty easily. Yesterday morning it was starting to gel so I poured twice the recommended dosgae in and it cleared it right up. Done this lot's of times.

The trick is that the motor has to be running so it will circulate it. If it stops your sunk. Then it's a new fuel filter with a ton of no gel and some diesel poured in and I like to drape a tarp over the engine area and fire up my propane torch under the oil pan to get some heat going too. A real pain.

I sure do miss the mountains where I could just buy what I needed!
Ken

danhercules
01-07-2004, 07:22
i cannot find diesel #1 here in So Cal for the winter!! :confused: ;) LOL

One question though, I keep reading about additives, should I be putting somthing in? I have looked around but I stink at searching. Thanks.

TurboDiverArt
01-07-2004, 10:12
Originally posted by The Buffalo Guy:
The best solution I've found is to blend it myself. Down to about -15F I'll do 50/50 #1 and #2. If I think it's gonna get colder I'll go straight #1. I still add additives.

Problem is since I moved to the flatlands (Kansas) hardly anyone carries #1. Last night I asked at 3 fairly big truck stops here on I-70 and none of them had blended fuel or even #1. It was -10F! I guess everyone here must just pour in a bunch of no gel additive.

On another note, if gelling has happened you can double or even triple the no gel dosage and get good results if it's not too far gone. I've got a tractor with a clear fuel sediment bowl that allows me to see if the fuel is gelling pretty easily. Yesterday morning it was starting to gel so I poured twice the recommended dosgae in and it cleared it right up. Done this lot's of times.

The trick is that the motor has to be running so it will circulate it. If it stops your sunk. Then it's a new fuel filter with a ton of no gel and some diesel poured in and I like to drape a tarp over the engine area and fire up my propane torch under the oil pan to get some heat going too. A real pain.

I sure do miss the mountains where I could just buy what I needed!
Ken For your blowtorch problems you could get a Kennedy oil pan warmer. $50 I think, simple installation and it really does get pretty darn hot quickly. Within a few seconds it becomes very uncomfortable to hold it in your hand. The directions tell you not to do this so naturally I did

FarmerDale
01-07-2004, 17:19
One thing to remember is that on many of the big rigs they have their coolant lines running through the fuel tanks to pre heat them and keep the fuel warm. The No 2 will gel if allowed to sit, and sometimes the drivers forget which tank they are using :confused: