PDA

View Full Version : A new electric fan? Reclaimed horsepower...

DennisG01
09-08-2006, 16:41
I know this has been talked about before and the consensus seemed to be that an electric fan couldn't keep up. However, I recently saw a "Two Guys Garage" episode where Sam installed it on his Duramax. So I thought that maybe this was something newer and greater. What do you guys think?

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/chevy-diesel.html

Anyone know what the stock fan pushes, as far as CFM?

I did notice that the fan is not recommended for over 18,000 GCWR.

NH2112
09-08-2006, 18:32
I've heard it moves well over 10,000CFM.

TurboDiverArt
09-08-2006, 19:14
I've heard it moves well over 10,000CFM.
6000 CFM according to their site.

Shikaroka
09-08-2006, 19:37
6000 CFM according to their site.

I'd say he was referring to the stock unit.

TurboDiverArt
09-08-2006, 19:42
I'd say he was referring to the stock unit.
I thought the stock one was rated higher than 10K? I think there has been discussion regarding at what RPM the stock fan flows the stated CFM though.

Art.

Hubert
09-08-2006, 21:50
However, I recently saw a "Two Guys Garage" episode where Sam installed it on his Duramax.

I did notice that the fan is not recommended for over 18,000 GCWR.

Apples and Oranges. The Duramax doesn't have quite the same cooling problems of the 6.5 (its lower compression, direct injection, better oil cooled pistons, intercooled etc).

But it all depends on use. The OEM fan moves a lot of air upwards of ~12-15,000 cfm at ? rpm. When the 6.5 runs too warm it needs that kind of air flow.

DennisG01
09-09-2006, 06:33
Thanks, guys. I guess if we're talking 6,000 compared to 10 - 15,000 then it's pretty much a no brainer, huh?

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2006, 07:16
There would be a considerable advantage for in-town driving, especially during summer with A/C. Better than a replacement fan would be an aux. fan. While the engine driven fan is no performer at low RPMs, it can't be beat at moderate to high RPMs, which is where the 6.5 has issues under load.

Why not have the best of both worlds? An aux. fan would lessen the engagement of the engine driven fan, and lower the ECT envelope.

Robyn
09-09-2006, 07:30
While we are on the subject of fans and cooling!!!!!!
My hummer replica has an issue with the size of radiator that can fit in the front due to hood design.
The real Mc Coy has the radiator mounted semi horizontal and the kit uses a small aluminum unit mounted in the traditional way.
I have measured the kit radiator and it is slightly over half the size of a 6.2/6.5 radiator.
My current plan is to use this radiator up front and mount an auxilliary unit of the same size back over the differential with a big electric fan.
I am planning on feeding the water to the rear unit much the same as GM feeds the rear heater cores on Subs.
I am going to keep the front radaitor close to the fan (3-4 inches) and shroud it well and use the big 6.5 9 blade fan and clutch.
The rear unit will have a Spal HD electric.
Keep in mind this rig is getting the 6.2 engine Non turbo.
Any Thoughts on this mess??????????????
Robyn

JeepSJ
09-09-2006, 08:35
Robyn - do you plan on towing? If not, then you may not have problems. My Wag's radiator core is 26x19. The biggest load it will ever see is maybe 6K, and theoretically the radiator should be sufficient. I do have the big 6.5 fan, but my plan is to run a DMax fan. The 6.5 fan is big and heavy.

a5150nut
09-09-2006, 09:40
Electric fans are not recommended for primary diesel engine cooling when the combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW) exceeds 18,000 pounds (truck, trailer and load)

Quoted from the bottom of the link in the first post, Manufacutres recomendaton.

moedog
09-11-2006, 19:32
You are making a big mistake on the 6.5. I did, loved the power , hated the overheating. changed it all back after one weekend and almost burning 6.5 down. If your at sea level, not going to pull and no hills go for it..
dmaverick has it right, in traffic an aux.elec.fan helps pull air thru but isnt adequate on higher speeds for the warm running 6.5s

TurboDiverArt
09-14-2006, 17:58
What about the D-Max fan? Does it pull in more air than the stock steel one? I think its fiberglass or something and lighter in weight. I'd think having a lighter weight fan would help performance both with and without the clutch engaged. Isn't it one inch bigger than stock?

Art.