PDA

View Full Version : Bang For the Buck

tedtobler
09-05-2006, 14:13
What will I get the biggest bang for my buck. I have been reading "Posts" about exhaust and intake. What is the best bang for the buck, what will give me the most power, best performance or best mileage?

Craig M
09-05-2006, 14:18
Ted, what vehicle and engine do you have? What current additions if any.

tedtobler
09-06-2006, 05:24
I am still trying to get a grap on how to set up my profile, I thought I had put that information in. How do you get information at the bottom?

I drive a 1995 2x4 2500 6.5TD with 260K miles on it. It has no mods as far as I can tell.

ronniejoe
09-06-2006, 06:07
In the first article in my signature below you'll find dyno data for cummulative modifications. That should help you with your thought process.

AndyL
09-06-2006, 09:33
Are you drag racing or pulling, how much weight, any grades?

moondoggie
09-06-2006, 09:43
Good Day!

"What will I get the biggest bang for my buck." If you approach this the way folks do these days with DMax/PS/Cummins (open a beer, reprogram, go fast), you'll for sure get a bang, as when your engine grenades.

IMHO from reading the Page for a few years, the only safe mod without gauges (meaning AT LEAST EGT, hopefully also boost, then...) is a freer-flowing exhaust. 3 1/2" seems to be at least adequate - ronniejoe has the best hill-pulling 6.5 recorded & he has the same exhaust as my Sub - Kennedy's 3 1/2" system. There are also 4" systems available from other vendors - see our advertisers.

THEN GAUGES! You do NOT want to modifiy a 6.5 for more output without knowing what's going on, ESPECIALLY EGT. Read ronniejoe's articles, they will get your attention.

THEN, if you want to pursue serious power, you will probably want to do cooling mods. This is the upgrade they did in 97 (?), a much higher output water pump combined with dual thermostats. Kennedy & others sell all the necessary parts.

FINALLY you can start power mods. Read ronniejoe's articles - probably the best, condensed version of how to proceed. Do searches in this forum & do a LOT of reading. Make the best investment (other than joining the Page) & buy all the back issues.

Don't get discouraged - if you had wanted to pull hard right now, you could have done that for $40K - by a DMax. I suspect maybe you didn't want to spend that much, but it's still do-able. ronniejoe's 95, with 1/4 million miles, pulled the Hill within 1 mph of an 06 PS & an 02 DMax - pretty good for a Sub that's been paid for for awhile.

Blessings!

TurboDiverArt
09-06-2006, 11:10
ronniejoe's 95, with 1/4 million miles, pulled the Hill within 1 mph of an 06 PS & an 02 DMax - pretty good for a Sub that's been paid for for awhile.

RonnieJoe for President! :D

moondoggie
09-06-2006, 11:50
Good Day!

He's got my vote. One thing is guaran-darn-teed, speed limits would go up!

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

ronniejoe
09-06-2006, 11:52
How about be eliminated...:D

tedtobler
09-06-2006, 17:45
Sounds like exhaust is a great first step. I am about to show my knowledge here but, If I start looking around for "gauges" is that a generic statement?

What about the Air Intake mods?

TurboDiverArt
09-06-2006, 18:24
Sounds like exhaust is a great first step. I am about to show my knowledge here but, If I start looking around for "gauges" is that a generic statement?

What about the Air Intake mods?
Anything that helps the engine breath, in or out, is a good thing. It will not damage the engine by doing so. You can open up the air box as I think the 1995 may have the dreaded "snorkel". You can go to Kennedy's site and it has info on removing it. Adding a free flowing air cleaner may not add performance on a stock truck but it can't hurt.

Art.

MTTwister
09-06-2006, 19:56
Ted - search on Gauges ( search in the upper blue "tool bar" ) - many opinions

Yes Generic, minimum is Exhaust - preferably pre-turbo, Boost, and I did a Tranny temp in a 3 pillar pod mount.

Various manufacturers - I went with ISSPRO EV - 'cause they're cool looking - they are other options, too.

Don't leave home without them :)

moondoggie
09-07-2006, 06:14
Good Day!

If you're only gonna have one gauge, EGT (exhaust gas temperature) would be the one to have. Obviously, more is better, but knowing your EGT will prevent meltdown.

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)