PDA

View Full Version : Luk clutch/flywheel kit ??'s

Jolie
11-26-2003, 13:07
We still have our 94 K3500 6.5L TD.....its a horrible addiction to the truck which is getting driven more than the 99 Ram 3500 V10 hubby just bought.

Anyway, about 1500 miles ago we replaced the ailing dualmass flywheel and clutch with a Luk solid flywheel and clutch kit, its been fine other than mild gear noise. Yesterday while downshifting the truck made the most horrible noise, sounded like the transmission fell out. It was fine, but its got me wondering......1 mechanic said we needed to put the transmission dampener (can be bought from Luk) and 1 said we didn't.

I'm trying to find out if anyone out there has used this kit and installed the dampener.....does it reduce gear noise? I'm guessing that's what all that racket was last night.

Ever since we bought that Dodge 2 weeks ago the Chevy has been a little angel......go figure. Hard to give it up when its being good, fun truck to drive.....I drive it more than my Explorer. :D

StephenA
11-27-2003, 17:03
Hi Jolie,
On a recent thread on the LuK clutch, there was a link to a clutch dealer in the Carolinas. I called him for pricing and he said he's sold hundreds of these clutch & flywheel kits and only two dampeners. He doesn't think it's needed. Also, the dealer replacement is a single mass and I don't think they use the dampener either, but I'm not sure. How's the T-case? I found some interesting new stuff on the NP241.

Jolie
11-29-2003, 16:09
The place we bought the Luk kit from said it wasn't needed, they said there is some gear noise, but its nothing to worry about. The mechanic that we've used for years said its necessary, but then the other mechanic says its not. We are playing it by ear right now, the truck is behaving for the moment.

As for the tcase, its great, no problems at all now, I think the shop screwed it up and then made up a story to cover themselves. At least they didn't charge us for another repair. I think they have screwed us over enough, time to move on.

Thanks for the info.

a5150nut
11-29-2003, 16:16
Jolie

Check the nut on the back of the transmision. It is inside the rear housing of the trans. You have to seperate the transfer case to get at it. Mine has loosened up a couple of times and it starts making quit a bit of gear noise espicially in 5th. Not sure what the tourque is supposed to be....