PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Exhaust / Other Questions

paoutdoorsman
09-03-2006, 19:33
Hi everyone, looks like I found this site just in time!

I'm considering the purchase of an 02 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Chevy with 96 clicks on the odo. It currently has flex pipe where I would think the muffler should be, and there may be another non-factory pipe section ahead of that.

My questions:

1- Is this truck missing a cat and a muffler? Or did they not have converters from the factory?

2- I'm not sure what this pipe setup does for power, but one of the reasons I'd like to buy the Duramax is because it is so quiet. Is there an exhaust system I could purchase to get near factory sound levels, but still have a high flow advantage?

3- The truck looks excellent and appears to be very well cared for. What do you guys suggest I look for on the truck before closing a deal?

Thanks in advance!
Dana

More Power
09-04-2006, 09:10
Yep, sounds like someone took the cheap route to losing the muffler & cat.

Of those I've heard, Banks produces one of the least noisy exhaust systems out there.

Try to get the warranty history on this truck before signing... :)

Jim

paoutdoorsman
09-04-2006, 09:46
Thanks Jim, I do plan to get the warranty history on Tues morning when my local dealer's service dept opens. Is there anything in particular that would scare you in terms of warranty history?

I moved too slow and missed an 02 GMC last week. Odometer showed 112K and not a single warranty claim. It did show two outstanding recalls for tailgate cables and a feul filter update of some type. Hope this one doesn't turn up to be a lemon!

Has anyone here tried the Banks Jim is talking about or other quiet exhaust? Anyone want to sell their stock take off system?

Dana

paoutdoorsman
09-05-2006, 08:52
Called for the warranty history this morning. It has had both recalls done, and a tie rod end replaced. Sounds like this truck has been non-problematic for the previous owner.

Now I just need to make the right deal, and find an exhaust system! :)

Dana

cowboywildbill
09-05-2006, 11:54
I have a stock non cat system that I took off our 02 3500 C/C longbed dually when I put the banks monster 4" system on.
It is complete from the turbo downpipe back. I took it off with out cutting it.
It was only on the truck for about four months. It has been stored out of the weather also. Make me an offer. I'll re-post on the classified page.
We live in Md. And to answer your question, the Banks wasn't too much louder than stock, but it did have a drone at 55 and was a little noisy when pulling hard on a grade while towing.

jlowder
09-06-2006, 18:49
I also have a turbo back exhaust system from a '02 extended cab/long wheel base collecting dust in my garage. The system was removed intact. I made a switch to a Silverline 4" system. I live in northern Virginia and would be willing to sell the unit for $100 to you or anyone willing to pick the unit up (I don't want to go thru the hassle of arranging shipping). Let me know, if interested.

paoutdoorsman
09-07-2006, 19:59
Thanks Cowboy and jlowder. I'll do some checking tomorrow to find out if either of your systems will fit this 02 Crew Cab short bed.

I'm geussing the that the crew cab long bed exhaust would be too long.

jlowder, was your ext. cab a long bed? I noticed you said long wheelbase but was not sure if that implies long bed... sorry! I could believe that an ex cab long bed exhaust would be very similar if not the same to a crew cab short bed.

I did some more investigating, and this truck actually has the complete Flowmaster SOS system, but the muffler was replaced with flex pipe. Anyone know how loud it would be if I bought the missing Flowmaster muffler?

Dana

cowboywildbill
09-08-2006, 17:06
Your welcome, When I put the Banks exhaust on it came with about a 3' pipe that I used in back of the muffler for the long bed C/C. If it had been the short bed, the pipe would not have been used. If that helps. I'm guessing you could just cut off the overage and place it in the muffler at the clamp.