PDA

View Full Version : high volume oil pump?

doncannon
09-03-2006, 18:05
hello all,

When you have a external oil cooler (not in radiator) and a turbo should i use a hi volume pump so i make sure everything is getting the required oil? Also should i use a deeper oil pan (and pickup tube ofcourse)? I want to try and make this 6.2 live longer and take more power than the original.

Thank everyone for all your help in advance,
Don

Craig M
09-05-2006, 07:06
Good questions, anybody got some coments?

Peter J. Bierman
09-05-2006, 08:08
I have two turbo's and a LARGE oilcooler, still on oem pump and sump.
All I did was change the amount of oil on oilchange becouse of the contence of the cooler.
it's now 7.5 Liters.

you should have normal oilpressure, otherwise the oil pump is worn, which would be a good reason to go to a high volume pump but otherwise you should be OK.

Good luck, Peter

DmaxMaverick
09-05-2006, 08:15
The "high volume" oil pump is intended for use on "sprayer" engines. High volume is just that, volume, which is necessary if you have the piston spray nozzles (which you don't, unless you installed them). Piston sprayers open up the pressure circuit considerably, so higher volume is required to keep up the pressure, which is the liquid bearing for all the rotating metal bearings.

Also, a higher volume pump will take more power to turn it, and place more strain on your timing set, which has been a key factor in long running engines.

If you have a bypass filter installed, or intend to, you may consider more volume. I suggest a high volume pump for this to allow a more efficient filter process.

As long as your pressure stays up, as Peter said, no problems. Unless you have a specific need for more volume, the OEM pump for your application is very effective.

doncannon
09-05-2006, 12:11
Hello all,

yes i was ready a small block chevy book and it said that it costs power to run a hv pump which prompt the question. I just wanted to make sure the oil cooler and turbo have enough flow.

Dmax: what is this bypass filter?

I was also toying with the idea that if i extend my oil pan and pickup tube that this may help to cool the oil. On the now dead 6.2 there was alot of heat when i pulled our trailer (9k). I even got 220-230 oil temp on spirited driving :) I am installing a std shift instead of the auto, but would like to make more improvements to keep it cool.

thank you all,
Don

Robyn
09-05-2006, 21:44
If I were to make this decision I would use a standard GM pump and just add enough extra oil to fill the larger cooler. Back in my race days of running 454 and larger rat motors in drag boats we always used hi volume pumps, BUT
were were running these big engines with far looser bottom ends than stock and we ran 50 and 60 weight oil. With full groove bearings and .0035 inch clearance we needed the high volume pump to keep up with all the oil we were pumping through the engine. The old rats would turn some fantastic RPM's.
The last boat we raced was a 600 incher (all aftermarket rat) and it was turning up in the 8500+ range.
Boats are tough on engines. Its all up hill with no slack where a car has some let off from time to time.
We never lost a bottom end in 10 years of racing rat motors.
Anyway, keep your stock pump with stock clearances and you will do fine with your little diesel rat.
My 2 cents worth
Robyn

doncannon
09-06-2006, 10:20
hello all,

thanks robyn. yes I understand those rpm would require it along with extra clearances.

thank you for your help,

Don