PDA

View Full Version : Block heater?

Warren96
09-03-2006, 15:47
My block heater dosent seem to warm up the engine anymore.It also dosent make the faint sound it used to make when it's pluged in either. Before winter sets in, and hard starting issues might possibly arise, i thought looking at it to see how hard it is to change might be a god idea. Oh my gosh, what a pain in the keester that thing looks like to change out.Maybe on a two wheel drive without the front diff in the way, but on my 4WD, the front diff may have to come out! Can anybody give me an idea on how to swap this out?

DaveNY
09-03-2006, 18:07
Check the continuity of the cord first, they do go bad.

Vandermax
09-05-2006, 14:06
I had the same problem, and it was the cord ends. Just splice on a new end and tape it up good.

DennisG01
09-05-2006, 15:14
Same as above - more than likely it's just the plug that is bad. Replacing just the plug is pretty easy. I just did it about 6 months ago.

Warren96
09-05-2006, 17:46
If the cord is the problem cant i just get a replacement? After 12 years it has been abused.One day while i was in a diner i noticed something hanging under the drivers side A frame and it turned out to be the cord! Does anybody know if the screw retaining the cord to the heater is an Allen head, or is it a Torx screw?

DennisG01
09-06-2006, 05:18
Yes, you can just get a replacement. Make sure you get one that is long enough - IIRC I paid about $30 at a local diesel shop.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a screw holding my plug in. I think it just plugged into the block. If you get underneath the truck, you can reach right up there and pull it out.

TurboDiverArt
09-06-2006, 11:24
Yes, you can just get a replacement. Make sure you get one that is long enough - IIRC I paid about $30 at a local diesel shop.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a screw holding my plug in. I think it just plugged into the block. If you get underneath the truck, you can reach right up there and pull it out.
I also did not have a retaining screw. It just basically plugged into the heater. I got mine at the local NAPA. It was about $30 as posted above. I got the longest one they had and it was just the right length. Get one that is at least 5-6 feet long.

The heater is relatively simple and durable, rarely goes bad. They usually leak before going bad.

Art.

DennisG01
09-06-2006, 11:46
Oh, I almost forgot. Take a look at this:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23887&highlight=block+heater+install

This, I think, should help to keep the plug from failing again as the plug is now stationary and not getting constantly thrown/twisted around.